Thursday, November 07, 2013

Sadness


Sorry to have gone missing - it has been a difficult week. Those of you who know of my beautiful Maine Coon  cat Flora will understand when I tell you that back in April we discovered that she had cancer.  Sadly, it wasn't anywhere operable as if was growing behind her eye.

With the vet's help we tried chemo and for a while that really seemed to help -  the lump shrank, growth slowed and for a while we had our lovely Flora back again.  But the chemo was traumatic and last month we knew that it wasn't helping her as it had. The cancer was growing again behind the other eye. So we decided  we had to stop the treatment,  spare her the stress of   the chemo and let nature take its course.

Today we came to the end of the road.  The cancer had grown even more and we had to make the hard decision that was the kindest for her but heart-breaking for us. Flora was on my knee as the vet gave her the injection and she slipped away.

She was a real beauty, a 'Queen' in  every sense of the word. The best Christmas present ever  and I will miss her terribly.

I wrote about Flora for the Pink Heart Society blog if you want to read  a bit more about her

25 comments:

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, Kate, so sorry to hear this. Big hugs from Australia!

Nicolette HH said...

So sorry for your loss. You must be heartbroken. I remember how excited you were to give her a forever home. Lots of live xx

Anna Sugden said...

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about Flora. I'd thought things were going so well for her. Big hugs from all in Cambridge xx

Pat Posner said...

Lots of hugs, Kate!
xxPat

Jayne Hoogenberk said...

Big hugs, so sorry for your loss Kate, she was such a beauty in every way

Jayne

Nell Dixon said...

I'm so sorry, Kate - sending you love and hugs.

Traxy said...

So sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, precious Flora! x

Nas said...

So sorry for your loss, Kate. It's always heartbreaking to lose a cherished pet.

Hugs.

Julie Cohen said...

Oh, gorgeous Flora. I'm so sorry love.

Kandy Shepherd said...

So sad for you Kate, I know how heartbroken you must be at the loss of your beautiful girl. xx

Trish Morey said...

Oh dear Flora, you will be missed.

Hugs, Kate.
xxxx

Anna Adams said...

Oh, no. I could not be sorrier. My heart is just broken for you and yours. Hugs, Kate.

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Oh NO! Kate, I am so sorry to hear that dear Princess Flora has been ill and has now passed away. There are no words for the loss of a dear pet - they creep into our hearts and stay there, so when it is time for them to leave the pain of their loss is too much. Sending you many (((hugs)))) from me and a comforting purrr from Shadow xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so, so sorry. :'( All our love in this sad time. Anna S

Carol Hedges said...

About to go down same road withg lovely Bart. 18 years old and fading gently away. Not prepared to let him go downhill any more. DD came round to say goodbye last night. Hugs for both of us..... I think.

Mary Preston said...

I'm so very sorry!!

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

Such sad news. Sorry to hear of your loss, Flora was such a beauty. :0(
x

Laney4 said...

Big hugs from Canada, Kate.

Becky said...

So sorry for your loss, Kate. It's always heartbreaking to lose a cherished pet. I loss one of my pets to cancer too.

sending you love and hugs

Kaelee said...

Kate you have my deepest sympathy.I know how hard it is to make the final decision. I know you have lots of wonderful memories of Flora and that she will live on in your heart forever. Shedding a few tears for you both. Hugs.

Rachael Thomas said...

So, so sorry for you Kate. Making that decision for an animal is heart breaking, even though you know it's for the best.
Flora was much loved and had the best home and she will always be with you in spirit.
Lots of love. Xx

Unknown said...

So sorry, Kate.x

Liz Fielding said...

Hugs, Kate.

Caroline said...

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about Flora. She was a beautiful looking cat - so regal. Hugs to you and BM as well. Caroline x

lidia said...

Kate, Very sorry to hear about Flora. I remember when you first got her. Our pets do become a part of our family and it is heartbreaking to lose one.

Sending many HUGS your way.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts