Friday, June 06, 2008

Animal catch up


I'm not actually here.

I'm really in Manchester where I am attending (will have attended by the time you read this) the opening of the Mills & Boon Centenary Exhibition And the He Kissed her in the Central Library. And I'll give you a full report when I get back.


But by the wonder that is Blogger's preloading system, I can blog today and have it posted tomorrow.


So as several people have asked, I thought I'd give you a quick livestock updates.


First off - The Hecks


The Hecks as you probably know already are the family of hedgehogs who love in the specially built Hedgehog House at the bottom of my garden. They have been hibernating all winter, but now that the weather is getting milder and more spring like I am expecting them to reappear at any moment.


Well, they are out there. I know they are. The food I put out (cats' leftovers) is always eaten and they leave small donations of hedgehog poo by way of a thank you and a calling card. But I have yet to see a Heck or Mrs Heck themselves.


So I don't have any new pics yet - and I don't know if there are any Mini Hecks around yet. But as soon as I spot one, I'll let you know. I know the Hecks have fans out there. In the meantime, here's a photo from last year.



Livestock 2 - Flora the Floozie and Sid


Flora had her trip to the vet and had the operation so she is now safe to be let outside without yelling for the attentions of any passing vagrant Tom. ( There was one day when George from down the road and one of those passing vagrants were sitting outside on the lawn, peering in through the French windows while the Floozie flaunted herself inside). She bounced back from the op so fast it was as if nothing had ever happened.





She also had way too much energy and running up and down stairs just wasn't enough exercise for her. Even adding in leaping into the air to catch flies as they flew past. So she is now given her freedom to run in the garden - which she adores. She runs up and down the lawn at high speed, jumps and catches flies and climbs trees to her heart's content. She also tries to catch birds by jumping into the air after them but, thankfully, hasn't succeeded yet.


Her outdoor expeditions also take the pressure off Sid who is regularly bounced on whenever he gets close. And his tail makes a wonderful plaything. Though I have spotted him sitting and twithing it deliberately just so that she will pounce on it. They regularly chase each other up and down the stairs and it sounds like thunder - no silent paws when they're having fun.


So here are a few cat pics too to keep you entertained until I get back from Manchester and can report.
Oh and a PS on Flora - can anyone explain why she absolutely loves to lick photographs. The glue on envelopes I can sort of understand - but photos? She'd lick the ink right off them if I don;t get to her fast.

2 comments:

Sandra Schwab said...

Ooooh, I so want to see the M&B exhibition! But I'm not quite sure whether I'm going to make it to Manchester before the end of July. Duh. But I've heard that there's to be some sort of publication to accompany the exhibition? I'll definitely get one of those.

Anonymous said...

She's beauty, Kate! She looks an awful lot like my cat, Justin, who is a purebred Maine Coon. He has a habit of licking strange things, too. He licks plastic bags and silk flowers.

LindaC

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts