Friday, April 13, 2007

Reading Matters

Rachel asked me to let her know what books I ended up reading over my Easter break so this is a sort of follow on post to that.


I finished my own book – writing it – just a week ago – sending it off in a haze after living eating and breathing that damn Spaniard for days – weeks. The next day, as I’ve mentioned, I headed for Scarborough and the problem was which books I was going to take with me. I’m always rather over ambitious when it comes to books on holidays – I take too many and forget that there might be a bookshop where I’m going. I also forget my ‘research reading’ in women’s magazines. I have a very bad magazine habit, It comes from the days when I used to have to share my one and only comic with three of my four sisters (The eldest was too grown up to read comics by then). That’s also the reason why I’m very possessive about my reading matter. The comic was shared between us in a rota – one week my elder sister would have it first, then she would pass it to me – I’d read it – pass it to the next youngest – she’d pass it to the ‘baby’ of the family. So a brand new comic or magazine is something I rarely got my hands on when I was young.

Which is also the reason why people don’t believe I’ve read half the books on my shelves. They don’t look read. Confession time here - Years ago I worked in a bookshop where I learned the trick of reading a book without breaking the spine or curling the cover – then I could put it back on the shelves. My excuse if that I was fresh out of university, newly married, paying astronomical rent on a flat and the BM was working for his MA so I was the only financial support for the two of us. I had to support my book habit in some way .

So, packing for Scarborough also involved collecting up some of the magazines I’d bought but not read and taking them to read too. Magazines are good for the journey – I can flick through magazines without feeling sick. Reading a book is a different matter. The magazines don’t have to come back home with me either. Once read, they can be left in hotel rooms or in the lounge - so someone else gets some free reading.

So what books did I select? I decided to be realistic. I had the magazines. I had the walk to Anne Bronte’s grave and the Michael Ball concert planned – I knew that I would do what I always do once I’ve finished writing – I’d fall asleep as soon as I sat down to read. So I grabbed a selection of the M&B romances that have been piling up waiting to be read for longer than I care to recall. I picked up Liz Fielding’s The Valentine Bride and loved it. But then I’d always known I would ever since I ‘met’ Max Valentine when he and Domenico and Theo took over the blogs from myself, Anne McAllister and Liz Fielding and set up their Grooms’ Contest back in February. I loved Theo’s book too. And I always admire the way that Liz Fielding writes.

Two other catch up bnooks that I thoroughly enjoyed were Fiona Harper's first title for the Romance - Blind Date Marriage and Natasha Oakley's Crowned: An Ordinary Girl. Both well worth reading. Natasha, as I've mentioned already, is one of the people I've seen make it from my critiques of her New Writers' manuscripts to published author, with another of her boks shortlisted for the RNA Prize. I'm thrilled by the way that she has found a truly personal voice in writing and a following that she deserves. Many of the New Writers' mss try too hard to copy older books and end up only sounding derivative. Natasha is one of the few whose work I think I would recognise easily. Fiona is a new voice in Romance who also cmae through the New Writers' Scheme - and deservedly so. Blind-Date Marriage won the RNA's New Writers' Scheme and is short listed for not one but two RITAs.

What else? Well, then I went back in time with two historical novels. Not ‘historical’ in that they are books set in past times, but books that were published in the past One totally new to me and one a reread. Both were published in the 1980s. The first of these was one that I had tracked down out of interest – because I wanted to read the very first book by the famous Lynne Graham. Bittersweet Passion was published in 1987 and was the only one of Lynne’s books ever to go into the Harlequin Romance line rather than Presents. It certainly read like something out of the 1980s – I wonder what would happen if I put my hero in skin tight white jeans and an electric blue tee shirt these days. I also suspect that this is the one and only LG hero who is actually a blond.

The other book was one of those finds I made in the second-hand bookshops while waiting for the BM to add to his collection of Rider Haggard books – or the Grim and Gruesome collections for his research on the history of crime – or . . .any other of the varied research interests he has at the moment. (One bookshop owner was so glad to see some of the more obscure titles go that he let us have them all for half price if we’d just take them off his shelves) Perhaps if we’d waited a while, he might have paid us to take them.

Anyway, while I was waiting and browsing, I looked through a collection of old M&Bs and found one that brought back memories for me – in fact it inspired one of my own books, in a back to front sort of way. I’ll tell you more about that tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
thanks for sharing with us what you read. Skin tight white jeans - eek! I remember them.
I do envy your trips round the second-hand book shops though- I love those places, but the under 4's don't...
I am also reminded that I too have an unread copy of The Valentine Bride - It will be next!
I'm looking forward to tomorrows trip down memory lane.
Best wishes,
Rach.

Lesley Cookman said...

Wotcher! Great blog - wish I could get to grips with mine, but I'm bad at doing creativity in two different directions. Agree about Liz's Valentine Bride - but then, I love all her books. Also have a new Catherine George in my TBR pile - hurrah!

Love to the BM.
Lesley

Anne McAllister said...

I'm glad Lynne Graham finally arrived and that you enjoyed it. I had a hero in white jeans once. I don't think (I hope not anyway) that he had an electric blue t-shirt. On the other hand, maybe he did. Better than orange polka dots, I guess!

word verification:
ctunomd: sounds dangerously medical

Anonymous said...

I read Liz Fielding’s 'The Valentine Bride' and Natasha Oakley's 'Crowned: An Ordinary Girl' just this week. They are both well worth the read. :D Now to find more books to order from the local library.

Anonymous said...

Had to smile at the 'my books don't look read' comment - as you know I share that with you.

Ditto being possessive. It drives me crackers if I've treated myself to a hardback and DH decides to read it before I do!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts