Sunday, May 06, 2007

Various animals

So, I got up this morning with thoughts of what to blog about buzzing inside my head.

I didn't blog yesterday but we (self, the BM, The Offsrpring and his Lovely Girlfriend) went to York for the day. The was my birthday treat. The main part of the treat ws to have afternoon tea at Bettys but also to see if I could find something that I could point out to the BM and say 'That is what you are buying me for my birthday'. This is a technique that worked wonderfully well with the cream silk jacket I wore to the RNA Awards last week and which was much admired - both the present slecting technique, and the jacket.

The birthday isn't until tomorrow. but we didn't fancy trying out the York and Bank Holiday combination on the 7th and I didn't find anything to point the BM in the direction of, but what the heck - we had fun and Borders bookshop did very well out of the visit. And the tea at Bettys was, as always, well worth the trip in itself.

So that's why I didn't blog yesterday - and this morning I woke up with a very different sort of blog in my head. But as I did my usual wander around the blogs I read I found something that totally distracted me and held me fascinated and delighted for six wonderful minutes. And in connection with various items that arrived in the post, it seemed appropriate to leave the topic I had in mind for another day and instead to use this blog to update on various animals and then get back to those wonderful 6 minutes.

As you already know, I love animals the cats, especially one Cat in particular tend to feature most on this blog. Regular readers will also know of 'my' tiger, Roque and the lionness Achee, adopted through the Born Free Foundation . The latest update I received tells me that they are both thriving. Roque (pronounced Rocky) who was found in a Spanish pet shop as a tiny cub is now a majestic fuly grown tiger who lives in a large jungle enclosure at the Bannerghatta Tiger Sanctuary in India. And the young lionnneAchee has befriended another lionness (Ma Juah) in the Shamwari Wildlife Reserve in South Africa where she now lives after having been rescued from a snowy car park in Romania.



In the same post came a 'pupdate' on Uffa the guide dog puppy I adopted (and share with Mags - Hi Mags!) He has grown a lot from the tiny puppy I first showed you., and is now a very handsome young dog who is doing very well in his early training to become a valuable guide dog. He walks very well on his lead and has learned to sit, stay and wait on command. Now he's about to learn to stop at stairs and doors in preparation for the next stage of his training.




Cats? Well, you all know about Sid so to make sure there's no favouritism, let's give the other guys a mention. The 'Old Gentlemen' as Redford (Bob) and Spiffy are now affectionately known have been enjoying the early spring sunshine. ( Bob is almost 18, Spiffy is 16 so they are into 'retirement age', though Bob is still so active you wouldn't know it.
And (specially for Biddy) Dylan - Dylan the Villain or Dyl the Vyl
refuses to act like the 13 year old he is. Even though he is officially an 'elderly' cat, he is still the wicked hunter he has always been. Just last night he tackled a collared dove that was almost as big as him and would have had it for supper if I hadn't distracted him to give it a chance to fly away and offered him some extra crunchies instead.
So there you are - the animal updates.
But now I'm going to add one extra critter into this. A horse. I don't write much about horses as my furry friends take up most of my time these days - but I love the beauty and intelligence of these wonderful creatures. and nowhere is it better shown than in this YouTubevideo of a Danish mare called Blue Hors Matine. This is what distracted me this morning and gave me six minutes of pure delight - so if you have 6 minutes to spare, believe me, it's worth it - don't leave it halfway through because the last few moments are sensational.
And my thanks to Trish Wylie who posted this on her blog, otherwise I never would have seen it - and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Thanks Trish!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
thanks for the youtube link, I've never visited there before. What an incredible sight that horse was, she even swished her tail in time to the music! Amazing stuff, my daughter is going to just love it.
The next video was of talking cats when I was there, wonder what all your furry gents would make of that?
Have a splendid birthday tomorrow,
Love Rach.

Trish Wylie said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it my sweet!!!! It made my day!

And I LOVE TO HEAR about all of your adopted furry family! Am looking forward to meeting all the meow's!!! I might even get round to posting pics of Max and Daisy one of these days - IF I can get them to sit still long enough that is ;)

And now I'm off back to those six minutes myself....I'm an addict!

HAPPY BIFFDAY for tomorrow sweetheart!!!!!!!!!

H's & K's as always!

Anonymous said...

Kate, happy pre-birthday! Glad you had a lovely day yesterday, and hope tomorrow will be gorgeous no matter what you do...!
Big kiss, Abby x

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!

I had the pubdate through on our adorable Uffa yesterday, too. Hasn't he grown! He's all long and leggy at the moment. And it sounds as if he is quite a character and doing very well in his early training.

It is so lovely to read all about your sponsor animals. I now have an orphaned orangutan baby called Grendon to add to Uffa and my orpahaned elephant Lualeni!

Love,
Mags xx

Rachael said...

Happy Birhtday Kate, for tomorrow. Best Wishes, Rachael.

Anonymous said...

WHERE AM I? ALL THESE CATS ON YOUR PAGE, MADAM -- AND NOT ME????

I AM DISTRESSED.

YOUR FORMER FELINE FRIEND WHO IS MOST ANNOYED AND HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE,

Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly-Lummox, ACOSB, etc etc etc, packing his bags etc etc etc

Tessa Radley said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!! Sounds like you had an awesome day.

And big wave to Sid and the BM...

I'm tagging you to reveal 8 facts about yourself *g*. Details on my blog.

Tessa

Liz Fielding said...

Love the new look blog, Kate!

Many happy returns of today. I hope you have a fabulous birthday with tons of treats!

Love, Liz

Michelle Styles said...

Happy Birthday Kate!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kate!

It's great to see all the boys on your blog, though I suspect you have some soothing to do with Sid...

love
Julie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kate! Hope you have a great day.

Love Nicolette x

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Kate!!! I hope you have a sparkling day full of fun surprises!!!

We still have frosty MI mornings but the apple and cherry blossoms are beginning to burst.

Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a very happy birthday Kate.


Chris.

Nell Dixon said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!

Kate Walker said...

Thank you all so much for the birthday greetings - I enjoyed it so much that I'm only just catching up with the real world and replying to them. You made my day and made it very special

Rachel - glad you enjoyed it - talking cats? I never saw that one! I must show it to Sid

Hi Trish - and thank you for the link. I loved the vdieo and have watched it several times too

Abby thank you and you're right my day was very special

Mags I thought of you when I got my pupdate on Uffa. I'm glad he's another thing we share together with writing

Ah Sid - be fair - you get plenty of time on my blog - you eben got to bloy in purrson on Anne's Blog. Don't be greedy - you can share (and there's salmon for tea)

Hi Tessa - yes, I've answered the tag. Thank you for the birthday wishes


Liz - thank you - the blog does look great now doesn't it? And thank you for those birthday wishes

Thank you Micheele

And thank you too Julie of course you know all the 'boys' and Sid has been appeased with salmon


Hi Nicolette and Thank you
Hi Nancy - where've you been? I've missed you. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Spring in MI sounds beautiful

Chris- great to see you - missed you too

And Nell - thank yo and once again Congratulations on your very special win in the RNA Romance Prize. Brilliant.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts