Monday, June 24, 2013

Want to learn to write romance?



I've had some enquiries about courses on writing romance that I'm teaching this year - and what is happening to Writers' Holiday after this year's event. So I thought I'd  give some details of what I have coming up.

I've rather cut back on the teaching this year so  really there are just the two main courses I'm doing - both in Wales. Well, that's currently the situation - things can always change and often do. But it depends on me being asked to teach or run a workshop. If I do  decide to do anything new, then I will  of course let everyone know. The details will be posted here and on my events page if anything crops up.

But for now, I will be heading for Wales and for Writers' Holiday at Caerleon in the last week of July.  The exact dates are July 28th - August 2nd  and as you'll see from the details on the Writers' Holiday site, this is the course I'll be teaching:

A  complete introduction to writing contemporary romance

 This course is intended to provide information and advice for anyone who wants to learn how to write  a popular  romance genre novel.  It gives an introduction to all the skills needed for success, from creating realistic characters, sustaining pace and conflict, packing emotional punch, writing sex scenes and crafting a satisfying ending.  While the focus may be on romance novels, the techniques – dialogue, characters, tension, pacing, settings,  hooks etc will also be relevant to all forms of  popular fiction.
 
At Writers' Holiday in  Caerleon  - as it's now run - the course is   made up of 5 lessons in the mornings. My course is in the second part of the week so it runs from the Wednesday to the Friday .
Students who sign up for this course, can also do one of the other courses from the beginning of the week - and of course go to all the main talks they're interested in - and attend the 'after tea sessions' if they want - Phew! You'd cram in a lot if you do it all.
Or you can just relax in the sun (if we get any!) or even settle down and write!
And then of course there is the Wednesday afternoon excursion to explore more of Wales - the 'Book Town' of Hay on Wye, Welsh capital, Cardiff,  St Fagan's National History Museum have all been included in the past.
And then of course there is the traditional last evening concert with the Cwmbach Male Voice Choir.
All this - plus 3 cooked meals a day (or free choice at the salad bar) - plentiful tea and coffee for the breaks - secure parking -  and all for  under £500. If I wasn't teaching, I'd be paying to attend myself. (The Babe Magnet and I have done just that in the past.)
As it says on the site, this is the last Writer's Holiday at Caerleon  - but it won't be the last Writer's Holiday.  WH is being reborn and it's relocating to a new site - one of my favourite places in Wales, Fishguard Bay.
 
Fishguard Bay Hotel is where my other course is based. That's where I teach at the  Writers' And Artists'  Workshop Weekend every February.
And by popular demand I’ll be back in Fishguard  again in 2014 to run the Advanced Romance Writing Course  again -
  • Date:  Friday 28th  February – Sunday 2nd March  2014
  • Location: Fishguard Bay Hotel, Fishguard Pembrokeshire
  • Course: ADVANCED Contemporary Romance Workshop
Fishguard Bay HotelA series of six advanced novel workshop sessions. This course is open to previous Fishguard workshop or Caerleon Romance course participants or those who have been on Kate’s basic Romance courses or Kate's workshops elsewhere. It is not for beginners. Designed especially for Fishguard to move you on, the whole weekend will be concentrated on this workshop - without other distractions. Guests are encouraged to complete work with Kate prior to the weekend commencement.

Strictly Limited to first 15 bookings

The Advanced  Course runs from Friday night to Sunday lunchtime. 6 workshop sessions, and one- to- one  discussions on the work you've submitted plus an open discussion and critique session. (and a little wine!)
Cost -  £229 all in
This course sells out very fast so please enquire about bookings as soon as possible. If the course is already booked up, we will run a waiting list on a first come first served basis.

Further details and booking forms can be found here: http://www.writersholiday.net/
 
  Unfortunately, even as I'm talking about this course, I suspect that it is already sold out. Or there may be just one available place still open on it. But all enquiries will be noted and if spaces become available, then people will be offered them on a first come first served basis.
But then from 2014 things will change anyway - as I said, Writers' Holiday will move to Fishguard and the Fishguard Bay Hotel - and the format will be rather different. The course will be longer, with classes on each day instead of half the week . I'm still planning that out, but as there is so much demand for the Advanced Course, I'm planning on putting in some extras so that this course has more scope than the current basic one can manage.
Details are still being worked out -  but here's the basic facts:

WRITERS’ HOLIDAY  AT FISHGUARD
Monday 21st-Saturday 26th JULY 2014
  
SIX COURSES, during mornings throughout the week,
each now EIGHT HOURS LONG,
a range of MAIN LECTURES,
After-Tea Sessions,
& final WELSH NIGHT CONCERT with
CWMBACH MALE VOICE CHOIR.
 
I'll let you know more about the course  as I get to know it!

Maybe I'll see you at one event or another.
 
PS If you live in Ireland - the Fishguard venue is right at the arrival point for the ferry from Rosslare  - literally just down the road (OK  - up the road, as  the hotel is above the ferry terminus!)
 
 
 

No comments:

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts