Monday, April 17, 2006

More Reality

So I’ve finished that book and sent it to my editor – and I have, Oh, all of 24 hours or so breathing space. So what does a writer do in between books? I thought I’d give you an insight into the ‘glamorous world’ of a lady novelist.
So – since I sent off the book I have


Changed and washed the sheets
Washed the other xx loads that had piled up and were breeding in the laundry basket
Put flea drops on the cats
Paid a dozen bills just before they sent red demands
Written emails to several people who had been waiting for weeks to hear from me
Slept (very important that – but I still woke up at 6am ready to write this morning)
Found some clothes to wear on a trip to London this week(these have to be excavated from my wardrobe as my ‘London clothes’ are only used on these trips – the best thing about being a writer is the ‘uniform’ – tee shirt/jeans or similar/no makeup/unstyled hair –and – for me – always bare feet.)So I have to find some shoes as well – shoes that I can wear without crippling myself but still look smart
Organised the cat-sitter and made sure there is cat food for him to feed the beasts
Emptied, cleaned out and refilled the cat litter tray – see – I told you it was a glamorous life!
Watched several episodes of Coronation Street
Found the tickets to the RNA lunch at the Savoy (which is why I need some London Clothes) which were buried under the Creative Chaos – ie mess – on my desk
Found the hotel booking – ditto
Oh and I read a book – a lovely book – Princess of Convenience by Marion Lennox. This book is a finalist in the RITA awards in the Traditional category and I’m not surprised. It made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes. If you haven’t read any of Marion’s books then you’re missing a treat

But all the time I’m doing this, I’ve been working – doing what I think is that hardest bit of writing a book – planting a seed in my mind and seeing what happens- and asking questions. Sicilian 1, Guido may have headed off to my editor, but now his brother Sicilian 2, Vito is impatient for his turn. He’s already put in an appearance in Guido’s book so I know he wants to get on with things.
So – the questions start – Tell me, Vito, who is your heroine. And where did you meet her – and what happened next – and WHY? Always WHY?

Hopefully he’ll tell me while I’m travelling and lunching and dining this week. If you read this blog and you’ll be at the RNA Awards lunch please come and say hello – I’ll probably be the one scribbling away in my notebook – no, not taking down the speaker’s words of wisdom, but trying to make sure I don’t miss a thing that Vito Corsentino is telling me.

If I get time I may post tomorrow – if not, I’ll be back at the weekend

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time in London and meet up with Kate H and lots of other friends. Also hope Vito is very talkative between now and when you begin the next book!

Best wishes,
Mags

Anne McAllister said...

Have fun in Lunnon, Kate! Don't let Vito distract you too much from all the sights and sounds and author friends! Tell Sid and his band of feline marauders to behave themselves while you're gone. In other words, be nice to the catsitter!

Anonymous said...

Have lots of fun in London. Will you be putting on a posh frock?

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts