Sunday, April 23, 2006

RNA Awards Lunch

The Savoy is a very elegant hotel, but the truth of the matter is that once inside any hotel at a very crowded event, the first thing you notice is that a. It’s too warm and b It’s very very noisy – the buzz of 300+ people – mostly women – all talking at once is definitely a strain to someone like me who is used to her own office, peace and quiet, apart from a few silent cats around.

The heat also affects my choice of clothes. I had taken 2 outfits – the glittery cardigan and chiffon skirt I wore to Julie’s book launch and a black long skirted skirt suit with bronze tee shirt with gold decorating the neckline. I chose the latter because the day was too warm for the glittery cardigan. But first there is a small panic. The BM has left his going-to-the Savoy jacket at home. So early Friday morning finds us out on Oxford Street acquiring a replacement. One very nice light grey silk and linen jacket later, we are walking back to the hotel when I spot a familiar figure –fellow M&B novelist – and Romance prize nominee - Kate Hardy, looking elegant in teal and some very high heels (though she swore they were comfortable!). I’ve promised to hold her hand through the lead-up to the ceremony so we gather her up and take her back with us to our room to chat while we get ready.

A rather slow taxi journey later – we get snarled up in traffic- we arrive at the River Entrance at the Savoy to meet Kate’s Aunt and Uncle and head upstairs for pre-lunch drinks with our publisher. Champagne, orange juice or water are on offer. I always need water – but I have a glass of champagne too. The half an hour or so before lunch is spent chatting to editors – there are still one or two I missed from my visit to the office yesterday – with conversations constantly being interrupted by a tap on the arm of the shoulder to be greeted by other authors, other RNA members. I manage brief helloes to lovely Marina Oliver and her handsome husband, RNA Committee members Jenny Haddon (Chairman), Catherine Jones, Evelyn Ryle, Conference Organiser Jan Jones – who last year sprang on me a request to run a workshop on plotting at the Conference. This year she doesn’t have to ask. I already know I’m doing an talk at Penrith Library. Roger Sanderson who writes as Gill Sanderson gave his usual exuberant hug and kiss. He is at a different table to mine so I won’t need to watch out for his wicked jokes just when I’m about to take a sip of wine. Julie Cohen arrives in her book launch ‘naked’ dress. She has good news so I hug her in congratulations too – though I’m not allowed to say why out loud. Authors Penny Jordan, Sharon Kendrick, Jessica Hart, Lucy Gordon . . . . The room fills up, the level of conversation gets louder .

At last we head downstairs to the elegant ballroom for the lunch. I’m at a table with , of course, the BM, Penny Jordan, Tessa Shapcott Executive Editor at M&B, Julie and delightful Elizabeth Power – elegant in pale pink - and her charming husband. Elizabeth is remarkably calm considering she too is short-listed for the Romance Award. We soon discover a mutual love of cats that makes instant friends! The food is better than on previous occasions – asparagus with lemon and walnut sauce - wild mushroom risotto (the veggie choice- carnivores had lamb) and a chocolate fondant pudding with thyme sorbet. The thyme sorbet was lovely –I passed the chocolate on to the BM.

After the meal, the presentations and speeches. The Foster Grant Reading Glasses Romantic Novel of the Year Award was announced, with a fairly long speech by chair of judges Dr Susan Horsewood-Lee. This included what seemed as if it was going to be a sort of ‘seven ages of man’ description of the reading habits of various stages in life but only detailed the fact that young adolescents were looking forward to Harry Potter’s first romantic encounter – then from then one it seemed that no one had time or inclination for reading until, apparently, the age of 60 when women turned to romantic fiction. It didn’t seem the most tactful of remarks to make to a room full of romantic novelists – that their books are enjoyed in the last stage before the grave! A brief description of each shortlisted book led to the presentation by Amanda Naylor – the prize went to Erica James for Gardens of Delight. Many RNA members were delighted to hear that one of our members had won the prize. After many years of Major Award winners declaring that they didn’t think their book was a romantic novel. It was great to have the prize go to someone who already had joined the RNA, especially as she has already been on the shortlist four times before. Then there was a long and rambling speech by Stanley Johnson, with rather too much self-promotion of his own books, Conservative politics and a description of a ‘romantic moment’ in – again – one of his own novels – in which, as a plane took off, his characters (a husband and wife) – ‘their elbows touched.’

The second Award of the day was the Romance Prize for the best Category Romance of the year. The books in the shortlist were summarised by Norma Curtis and as I’ve already mentioned here, this award went to Contracted: Corporate Wife by Jessica Hart – which means that Jessica Hart has now won both a RITA and the Romance prize. Congratulations Jessica!

There are some pictures and more details on Kate Hardy’s blog if you want more or to fill in anything I’ve forgotten her – including a photo of Kate, Roger (Gill) and Myself.

By the time the event wound to a close, both I and the BM glad to get out into the air again. We had plenty of goodbyes to say – all the editors again, commiserations to offer to Kate Hardy, Elizabeth Power etc – but they all had been given beautiful flowers by the RNA so they didn’t go home empty handed. After the noise and heat I was glad to be able to catch a cab back to out hotel . Our route took us up the Mall which was bright with flags ready for the celebration of the Queen’s 80th birthday the next day, Then I was able to kick off my smart shoes, hang up the suit and relax until it was time for dinner with some special friends – a much more relaxed and laughter filled affair.

The Awards lunch – and the judging of the two awards presented - takes a huge amount of organising and commitment from the committee and other members of the RNA so my thanks go to them for everything they put into making the day a great success. I have to admit that the speakers were not at all to my taste – but the food, the atmosphere and - most valuable of all – the chance to meet up with so many friends and to celebrate the writing and publishing of romantic fiction is the most important thing. That’s why I was there and I had a lovely day.

4 comments:

Susan Rix said...

Kate, you've made my day. The postman delivered my win this morning :-). I'd forgotten you were also sending a book by Anne McAllister. Thank you! I'm looking forward to indulging myself with an excellent read at the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Loved your commentary, especially the "fashion Police" ones. And Thanks to Kate Hardy for her photos....great comments and pics as well.

Sounds like you had a grand time. Glad the bm got a new jacket.

Diane said...

Thanks from me too, Kate. Mine were waiting for me when I got back from London yesterday.

Kate Walker said...

Grrr- I answered you all and the post disappeared!

So - again - sorry to be late catching up but as you'll have seen, I've been busy tweaking my Sicilan

mscreativity - Thanks for letting me know the books arrived safely. As I'm writing this at the weekend, I hope you're enjoying that excellent read now.

You too, Diane - hope you enjoy both books. Anne and I both write for M&B Modern/Harlequin Presents, but we have different styles so it should be an interesting comparison


Hello Marilyn - I'm glad you liked the report - and the fashion. And between you and me, although I have to pretend to be exasperated that the BM forgot his original jacket, he looks so handsome in the new one that I don't really mind - it was a good excuse to buy him it. :-)

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts