Saturday, September 06, 2008

Heroes and countries

I love the fact that my books sell all over the world. And I love the way that this blog has so many visitors from so many different countries - the collection of flags and places in the sidebar is evidence of that.


Recently I mentioned the fact that Mills & Boon had lauched the distribution of their lines in India where they knew there was already a large market for romance novels and they hoped that this new venture would be a great success. I haven't yet seen the royalties fro the 3 books of mine that have been published in India but I do know that it is in the top twenty countries for visitors to this blog. I know that the publisher of the 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance has sold the Indian rights to that book, too.



Then this morning I discovered that I discovered that I am this month's Featured Author on the M&B India site. My newest title in the UK - Bedded By The Greek Billionaire is published in India this month and as I've already said the cover art has been changed to suit the country of sale. So today is a good day to send a special hello and welcome to all my readers from India if you're visiting as a result of that. If you are visiting from India please say hello in the comments section and tell me where you're posting from. To celebrate being the featured author, I have a 2 small prizes on offer in the form of some M&B centenary goodies for the first couple of posters with Indian home addresses.



It seems so appropriate that as this interest in M&B romances in India is growing , over on the I heart Presents site, Penny Jordan has been talking about her new book and how she is pushing the boundaries of the types of heroes that are popular as she has written this one with an Indian hero. That made me wonder what other countries that are not well represented in the hero populaton of the Modern Romances/Harlequin Presents titles, you would most like to see. Again, I have a couple of small prizes for those whose posts interest me.

Or, rather, interest Sid. Sid of course will be busy this weekend anyway as the Super September Contest that I'm running with Michelle Reid is now closed and The Cat will be choosing my winner just as soon as I can get him organised. Meanwhile, Michelle will be asking Saffy the Labrador to pick her winner. Two lucky winners will win signed copies of Bedded By The Greek Billionaire and The De Santis Marriage both of which are out now in the UK, together with a copy of Her Passionate Italian the 3 in 1 By request volume in whihc Michelle and I both appear. The results will be announced when we know them and have got together to disover the two winners' names - probably on Monday. Watch this space.


And talking of heroes - as you know, sometimes I use a photograph to imspire me when creating a hero - sometimes I don't seem to need one. I was working on the current book and my brooding Italian hero without any extra inspiration but then yesterday I came across this. . .


Not quite sure why this particular image of Richard Armitage inspired when all the photos of him in black leather as Guy of Gisborne - or frock coat and cravat as John Thornton didn't. Perhaps it has something to do with the screen behind him that looks as if it might have a place in the historic island villa that is his home - but I took one look and knew that that was Ricardo. So I'm hoping that having a little extra inspiration will help the book grow even more and get me to The End a little faster. It should please Natasha Oakley anyway!

8 comments:

Caroline said...

That made me wonder what other countries that are not well represented in the hero populaton of the Modern Romances/Harlequin Presents titles, you would most like to see.

I think there's a shortage of Eastern Europeans. The Mediterranean men get good coverage, but how about the Slovenians and Estonians? Fascinating countries and some seriously handsome men, with the possibility of weaving courageous and heroic acts from the recent Balkans conflict into their back stories.

juliemt said...

I think that the British hero is rather unrepresented in Modern Romance/Harlequin Presents of late. A sexy British aristocrat, a stately home, a strong Presents heroine, gorgeous scenery and I am in heaven!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, Richard Armitage...He inspired my hero, Jared, in my ebook, Private Intentions, as you can see by the cover...

www.freewebs.com/nikkihh

(written under a pseudonym)

Donna Alward said...

Mmm....not just Natasha pleased...I just got all into my next hero based on Michael Trucco so have pulled out my BSG dvd's...but that makes me long to put North and South in again...and at some point I have to STOP watching discs and read or actually WRITE...or maybe sweep my dirty floor or feed my children...

lidia said...

Kate,

I am waiting patiently for you "Greek" book here in the states. I already read Michelle's book and it was quite good.

I have to agree with Caroline -- the Heroes are rarely from Eastern European countries.

It seems that most heroes are Mediterraean or Sheikhs.

Anne McAllister said...

You know I like a variety that steers away from the continual Mediterranean heroes. Like Julie, I'll take a good Englishman (or Irishman).

Nice pic of Richard Armitage. I can almost see the appeal. But with Hugh-in-a-towel as the standard, I still think he has a ways to go. But then, to each her own!

Unknown said...

Hey,
I am from India ans i have been reading M&B from last 11 years. I must have read at least a thousand by now!
My friends in school and college used to love them too. And about the decision of M&B to open an Indian branch.. that's awesome. There is a huge market which can be exploited.
I read Penny Jordan's 'Virgin for the Billionaire’s Taking' .. it was good, but it will be lovely too see an INDIAN HEROINE (Someone who looks like AISHWARYA RAI.. Oh She is beautiful)

Love,
Supriya

Traxy said...

Woah, small world! :D I was googling for RA pictures and came across your site - and you're THAT Kate Walker! I've got your 12 step book. Thank you so much for writing it, it's got some excellent advice! Now I just need to apply some bum glue and write down backgrounds for my characters and then I want to start writing one of those stories floating about in my head, screaming at me to be let out of there! :)

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts