Saturday, December 21, 2013

Where was I? With Ruby

Well, that all went a bit pear-shaped didn't it?  I kept trying to get to my blog, planing on writing something and offering another book in the Advent Calendar, but things kept happening.
The doorbell kept ringing - more visitors

I had to keep going back to the Post Office - more prizes to send out

I had to plan - and work on connecting with the students for my February  Advanced Romance Writing Course at  Fishguard - even at Christmas the preparations for next year don't stop.


And talking about writing courses and teaching - I have  new plans for  the 12 Point Guide To Writing Romance - more soon - watch this space.

Oh - and  Ruby happened.

Ruby - not the 40th wedding celebration -  but she is part of them.  This is Ruby.

Or, rather that was Ruby when I first met her last Sunday - which was when  the organised life started to go  a bit  less organised!

I didn't think I was ready for another cat.  Flora's illness was so upsetting and sad  that the Babe Magnet and I weren't sure  we  could love another creature while we were  still so sad. But that was before The Offspring's Fiancee took me to visit the local Cat's Protection League  rescue where a small black and white bundle of fur threw herself into my arms and made it obvious that she knew I'd come to collect her.  And how could I argue with her when she had settled there and purred. . . and purred. . . and purred. . . .

We had to wait some days to make sure that no one claimed her. She'd been found wandering alone on the streets -
and as she  was only about 8 weeks old, that was a sad little story, especially when the weather has been so bitterly cold and wet.   So we had to leave her  at the centre (reluctantly because she yelled and yelled in protest when she was put back into the pen) . But no one did claim her and yesterday we went to fetch her and bring her home. She was still yelling! But she stopped as soon as I appeared  and jumped into my arms again - and that was that.
So here we are, with  Christmas just a few days away, the tree only half-decorated (as you can see) and some of the gifts not yet wrapped  . . .

and Here's Ruby!

But she's already wriggled her way into our hearts  - the humans anyway, but Charlie is a little distant as yet. She makes it clear that she thinks she fell asleep and woke up in cat heaven. There is food, and warmth, and lots of fuss (she yells if she doesn't get enough) and she slept curled up between us in the bed last night.

  So now I have  to go out - I know she's going to protest, and she'll probably still be yelling when I come back. But she'll soon get to realise that I do come back and we'll all settle down (even Charlie) into one big family.

Welcome, Ruby!

So that's why I've been otherwise occupied - there will. be more of the Advent Calendar next!




24 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Oh Ruby is lovely.
And if you count back, it is almost as if Flora sent you a Christmas present because she knew you needed another cat in your life!
I am SO v happy for you and The Babe Magnet.

Kate Hardy said...

Fantastic, Kate - and I'm totally with Michelle. Sending you lots of love and wishing you a much, much happier 2014 xxx

Unknown said...

Ahh, she is gorgeous, Kate. Some things are just meant to be - and it sounds like she was just waiting for you to find her. Have a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2014.

Eli Yanti said...

Cute Ruby :)

Mike said...

Nice post, but very hard to read with grey text on black/red.

Rachael Thomas said...

Welcome to Ruby! I'm so pleased you found each other.

Merry Christmas!
X

Anna Adams said...

Oh, yay, Ruby, for finding a home and your heart, all at the same time!

Kandy Shepherd said...

Oh Kate, she is enchanting! What a clever little kitty she was to claim you as soon as she saw you!

So much laughter and joy for you ahead (especially when you finish decorating your tree and she catches sight of it...)

Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kandy Shepherd said...

Kate, sorry about the millions of comments from me! Blogger kept telling me to prove I wasn't a robot and then suddenly all those comments appeared!

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Ruby is, to put it simple, quite gorgeous, and a very lucky cat!! :)She definitely sounds as if she was waiting for you and (just as my Shadow Gift has lived up to her middle name)I'm sure young Ruby will bring you the gift of much love and purrs for many years. Welcome Ruby (with purrs from Shadow)

And a very happy Christmas to you and yours, Kate. May 2014 be a year of many blessings and much happiness.

Kind regards
Judy Croome, South Africa

Misty Shaw said...

That's a great story and I know Ruby and Charlie will be spoilt rotten on Christmas day. She couldn't have gone to a better home. :) xx

Maria said...

Oh,I'm so glad you got her. She's lovely.

Kaelee said...

Kate ~ Ruby is such a cute kitty. I think she is already training you. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with her.

Mary Preston said...

Ruby is beautiful!!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts