Sunday, April 26, 2009

A|ll About Alphas 10 - Anna Campbell

I have another single title author for you today - Anna Campbell who writes stunning historical novels with very very alpha heroes.

It's interesting to read what Anna has to say because coming up soon we have some wanderful category romance novelists who also write historical novels.


I write alphas. I always have, right from when I started my first
historical romance at the age of twelve. I find the breed endlessly fascinating.
Partly because there's an endless variety of alphas to play with. There's the
focused, driven, passionate, do anything to get the heroine type like many
Presents heroes and my own Duke of Kylemore in CLAIMING THE COURTESAN.


There's the wonderful protective knight in shining armour types like
Matthew in UNTOUCHED. There's the lone wolf, world-weary, cynical types like
Lord Erith in TEMPT THE DEVIL. There's the brave warrior alpha and the
protective alpha and the tortured alpha. There's numerous combinations and
permutations of the breed so no alpha is the same as another.


Two constants in the alpha male is that he's a leader (even if just of a
band of one, himself!) and he's an independent thinker. He's nobody's lackey,
even if his maverick mode of thinking places him outside the pale of accepted
mores. He's also remarkable in some way - always brave, smart, self-reliant.


Above all, he's always a hero even if it takes a story arc to get him
through his reluctance to the point where he's willing to make sacrifices or
take risks for the sake of the heroine or a larger cause.

Long live the alpha male. He's always been a staple of romance fiction and
I can't see that changing any time in the future.


Anna has Tempt The Devil our right now


For Olivia Raines, London's most notorious courtesan, and the infamous Julian Southwood, Earl of Erith falling in love will be the greatest risk of all in this wicked and wild romance from Anna Campbell.


Any man in London would worship her. Yet Olivia is, quite frankly, bored of them all. Despite her many dalliances, she's never felt true passion, never longed for any lover's touch . . . until Julian, London's most notoriously wanton rake, decides to make her his mistress.
From the moment he first sees her, Julian knows he must possess her. And when he discovers her greatest secret, a scandal that could ruin her reputation and end her career, he knows just the way to use this damaging information to his most delightful advantage. He offers Olivia a deal with the devil: he'll keep her secret . . . if she allows him the chance to show her true ecstasy.


But Olivia must be careful, for Julian has a secret of his own: he will not rest until she is completely, shamelessly his.

4 comments:

Annie West said...

Hi Anna, I couldn't agree with you more about the variety of alphas. I keep meeting people who talk about the alpha character as if there's just one type and that all alphas are the same. The fact that alpha heroes have core characteristics that attract us, as well as their own unique individuality which makes their story so fascinating, is part of what draws me back again and again.

As you know, I have a terrible time when asked to play the 'favourite' game so will just say all your heroes are strong, sexy and fascinating, even if they're behaving badly! You take us beneath the skin to the man's fears and doubts as well as his strengths. I love it. And Erith is such a great hero!

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Annie, always great to see you. And you know I just melt into a puddle when I read your alphas. And they're all different - which you're so right about! Hey, glad you like Erith but I think your favourite was dear Matthew, wasn't it? Or I remember that being said... ;-)

Annie West said...

Well, yes, Matthew struck a real chord with me. As does Gideon in your next. Hm. Does that mean I like tortured heroes, I wonder? Something to ponder over.

Anna Campbell said...

Nah, ALL my heroes are tortured. I think you like the ones who already know they're men of honour rather than the ones who have to dig a bit deeper to get to that central ethical core.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts