Tuesday, April 28, 2009

All About Alphas 11 - Liz Fielding

Hello from Dublin! Abby Green and I drove back from Connemara yesterday and at last I have  internet access again.  The connection at the Delphi Lodge went down halfway through the week (I think a sheep ate through the cable!)  and  I've been totally out of contact since then.

But now, catching up, I'm delighted to see that the posts I preloaded have all appeared in the order in which I planned the. There are still some more to come, but I want to pause at this stage and send my thanks to all the wonderful authors who have posted so far. I've been re-reading their posts myself with a great deal of interest. The range of scope and ideas that these posts have covered has been fascinating. And I think they show how narrow and restricted the over-used term 'alpha male' has become. This character has a lot more depth and variety than many have given him credit for. 

What's that they say about horses for courses?

And to continue in this theme, I have two authors coming up who write for the line in which I think very few people would consider that they would find an alpha male at all - and that's the Romance line.

Alpha heroes in traditional romance? Never! The Romance hero must be Beta through and through,  you'd think?

Well, think again.  Today's poster - the wonderful, award winning, brilliant writer Liz Fielding has created some  fabulous Romance Alphas -  think of  Max in The Valentine Bride or Jago in Wedded in A Whirlwind - or Josh in her latest book.

But I'll let Liz tell you about him.

The Liz Fielding Alpha hero is strong, resourceful, the man who others will turn
to in times of crisis. Arrogance may hide mental and physical scars but while he
may seem distant, apart from other men, he will, like Nick Jago, in Wedded in a
Whirlwind, risk his own life without hesitation to save another. Like Josh
Kingsley in Secret Baby, Surprise Parents, he will sacrifice his own happiness
for those he loves. He will demand honour and courage to match his own from the
woman he chooses to share his life, but he will be tender, loyal to death. For
me a man comes closest to being the perfect Alpha when he mirrors the attributes
of the leader of the wolf pack. He is the hunter, lover, father, protector.

Liz's latest fabulous hero appears in Secret Baby Surprise Parents which is published in
Grace McAllister thought being a surrogate for her sister would be a truly selfless act. But secretly Grace longed for the baby inside her to be her own, conceived in passion with the only man she had ever loved. But that could never be.
Josh Kingsley couldn't bear to watch the baby grow big in Grace's belly, unable to share in the magic. He wished she and the child were his to take care of. But when tragedy struck, Josh rushed to be there for Grace and baby Posie. Could they be his life, his family?

And talking of Liz - now that I'm catching up on my internet reading and have time to visit her blog - last week she wrote a wonderful articulate, passionate and important post on the vexed question of book piracy. If you don't know about this scourge of authors' lives and when it's wrong - out and out theft plain and simple then you should read Liz's post here. It explains everything with brilliant clarity and force. 

Thanks Liz!

Tomorrow I'll be back home and I'll be posting  another  a great contribution to this Alpha discussion from an author who never thought that she wrote alphas  heroes - until I asked her to tell me about hers!

2 comments:

Annie West said...

Hi Liz,

I loved your post. I especially related to your description of the alpha hero as hunter, lover, father and protector.

And you do some of the most delicious alpha heroes I've ever met (er, read). It's always a treat to read about them and enjoy such 'real' love stories. Just magic.

Waving hi to Kate and Abby. Watch out for those dangerous Irish sheep!

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Annie

Thanks so much for that. And Kate for inviting me to put right a few misconceptions about the Romance series, too.

Like Modern/Presents, we tend to be a much misunderstood series. Romance with "training wheels" is one description I particularly loath.

I beg, very politely -- I'm a Romance author :) -- to differ. The Alpha male makes the perfect Romance hero. And the perfect Romance heroine will match him for courage, honour and passion every step of the way.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts