Tuesday, September 01, 2009

WH 2 and other stuff - like contest winners!

Thank you all for your comments on the latest production of Wuthering Heights. I was glad to know that others agreed with me - having read some surprisingly (to me) positive reviews for thge programme. But then that's one of the things about books and dramas - and particularly about adaptations. Some work for some people and miss completely for others. I should know. The Modern Romance/Presents line comes up against this problem all the time.

I did watch the second part of Wuthering Heights but I was disappointed with that too. It was strange because there were some times when the actor who played Heathcliff showed real power - and then other times that I found myself thinking that there is a big difference between playing some who is 'stony -faced' and looking as emotional as a brick wall.




For me, the major problem ended up being the script. It really wasn't an adaptation of Wuthering Heights but a reworking and whether you love the original book or hated it, that was what Emily Bronte wrote so taking major liberties with the story/characters/events isn't a dramatisation of her novel. It's a whole new concept. And one that just didn't work for me. But then it was advertised as a drama of the greatest love stories of all time so that's what they tried to make it.




It's September 1st so that means that Sid has been busy picking a winner's name for the Summer Sizzler contest. Obviously he and Michelle Reid's husband are in psychic contact becasue they both picked the same name - so Susan Wilson from Ayrshire is very definitely the winner. I sent Sid back to the crunchie choosing (he didn't object) and this time he picked out the name of Summer Halls from Canada.

So Susan and Summer both win a signed copy of my September book Kept For Her Baby and Michelle's Marchese's Forgotten Bride. Congratulations to both of you and your prizes will be in the mail asap.



Finally, if you're interested in writing for Presents and have plans to enter the current Presents Writing Competition (and I know plenty of you are) then you'll want to head over to Lynn Raye Harris's blog where she's running a series of posts that could help you.



Lynn of course won the Instant Seduction writing competition last year and her winning boko - Spanish Magnate, Red-Hot Revenge was published in August (you can probably still find copies around if you missed it) Lynn is posting hints and advice under the title So You Want to Write For Harlequin Presents, staring with the very basic - and important - why do you want to write for Presents. And today she has a great post on the Alpha hero. All the posts are well worth reading - and not just because she recommends reading some book called The 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance. So why not go and take a look and maybe join in the discussion.

Tell Lynn the 'divine' Kate sent you . . . ;o)

5 comments:

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Thanks for the mention, Kate! And you are divine. You simply are!

Lacey Devlin said...

Ahh Kate you've killed me with that "as emotional as a brick wall" comparison. Such a shame it was so disappointing. Congrats to the winners!

Caroline said...

Thanks for the tip Kate! I've just winged my way over to Lynn blog. I loved her book btw - I can see why it won. It just makes me feel a teensy weensy bit insecure. How on earth is my paltry effort going to compare to that! Ah well. I've got 2 months or so to come up with something! Take care. Caroline x

Unknown said...

Kate, I'm purchasing your 12 Point Guide and giving it as a door prize at our Seattle RWA Conference.

Lynn Raye is so dedicated with her posts, I've so enjoyed them.

And to you dear Kate, the post just arrived with Kept for Her Baby. Thanks so much and I've got to tell you, the cover is absolutely beautiful! xxoo

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Just checking back in -- and Caroline, you have totally made my day! Thank you so much. :) Don't worry about that insecure thing -- we ALL feel it from time to time, I assure you! Know it's normal and get busy on your fab story. Only you can tell your story your way. That's why there are different authors!

Hi to Lacey and Marilyn too! Glad you like the posts, Marilyn! I didn't know I'd hit on something until I wrote that first one. :)

Giving away the 12 Point Guide as a door prize is a great idea, btw. I may have to do that too! I love mine. :)

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts