Thursday, March 02, 2006

Something wonderful

This isn't the post I was planning to write but -
I'd like to share with you three very special pictures

- first of all here is Saranya who lives in India

And here is Bisola who lives in Africa


Don't you just love those wonderful wide, brilliant smiles on their faces ? - I'll come back to that in aminute

And finally - here is little Hassan in Bangladesh. He's a little more solemn because he's a bit too young to realise quite what's happening.


Why these pictures? Well, those of you who visited my web site before Christmas will know that as my Christmas 'card' to my readers, I used the money that could have bought cards and paid for postage to do something that I believed - knew - was worthwhile.

In the past year, I've had surgery to remove cataracts from both my eyes, and it's made a wonderful difference to me. I can see to read, to cross a road safely, to drive, and of course, to write. And because of the NHS, I had the skill of my wonderful surgeon at no cost at all to me. So when I learned that I could actually fund the same operation or one to repair the damage of trachoma and so give the gift of sight to someone who needed it, in a country where they didn't have such advantages, I knew that was where I wanted some of my 'Christmas card' money to go. And that's why Saranya and Bisola are smiling so brilliantly - because they can see the photographer who is taking their picture. Little Hassan too has been saved from blindness, even if he doesn't quite realise the importance of that just yet. The company (Good Gifts) I used to send these donations have sent me the photographs of the children whose operations I paid for and I've been sitting here with tears in my own newly repaired eyes as I looked at these wonderful pictures.

And would you believe that it cost me just £27 each to put that smile on those faces? Damn good value if you ask me.

That's why I had to share them with you. And for another reason too - all the readers who've bought my books have helped me afford to give this special gift to these children - so I want to thank you all too for your part in this very special moment. So just take another look at those smililng faces and, even though it's now March, think that that's what Christmas is really all about!

5 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog - I appreciate it. When I opened my email and saw your name I said "Look 'tis T'Other Kate."

How wonderful that you've done this. The pleasure you feel must be overwhelming.

Michelle Styles said...

Oh Kate, it brings tears to my eyes or rather the one that can tear at the moment. And yes, I know I shouldn't be looking at your blog because I just had my cataract op, but something told me to and...
how wonderful your Christmas card money gave sight to those three children.

Kate Walker said...

Hello Eva - and welcome. I followed a link from Kate H's blog to yours and I was happy to say Hello.

Michelle -yes, you shouldn't be reading the blog! But I do understand. And, like me, you will appreciate even more just how wonderful it felt to know that I could do something to help someone else have the miracle of sight restores to them

Now rest your own eye or I'll set the Eye Police onto you

Kate

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say except that what you did has made me re-evaluate my own values regarding Christmas. Food for thought. Thank you.

~Sharon J

Kate Walker said...

Sharon - I don't know how this has made you think, but I do know that when I saw those pictures I just burst into tears of delight. I still love to give to my family and friends and enjoy the traditional English Christmas - but knowing that someone much more in need was 'sharing' with us at the same time made it extra special somehow

Kate

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts