Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Return of the Author

I'm back from Howarth after a wonderful weekend at the Bronte Festival of Women's Writing. In spite of the pouring rain - this was West Yorkshire after all! - we had a fabulous time -  exploring the fabulous little village,  going round the Bronte Parsonage itself - there is always something new to discover - or rediscover - and doing an interview with Radio Leeds,  then my workshop the my talk on writing Return of The Stranger and being inspired by  Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.

(Incidentally, this seems to be a new vogue in publishing at the moment as Harper Collins has announced  a "major" new series, in which it will team modern authors with Austen's six novels, asking them to reimagine the books in a contemporary setting. The project is the latest addition to the current vogue for Austen remixes, which have ranged over recent years from the unexpected success of Seth Grahame-Smith's zombie mash-up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to erotic fiction author Mitzi Szereto's X-rated Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts.)

I'll write up a full report later - and fill you in on all that happened -  but for now I have to feed and appease the cats, offload the washing - and put my feet up before catching up on missed sleep! But if you want to know more about the reworking process, how I approached it and what I found challenging,  the Laura Vivanco did a great  - and details interview with me before the weekend -and she has posted it on the Teach Me Tonight site today.  Thank you Laura!

That should keep you busy till I can report fully!

1 comment:

Desere said...

Glad your back home safe !

Desere

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts