Thursday, November 16, 2017

Sara Craven - Sad News


When I first started aiming for publication with Harlequin Mills and Boon, one of my most favourite authors was the brilliant Sara Craven. I learned so much from reading and loving her books and if there was a new title out I grabbed it with both hands. Her novel Comparative Strangers was one of my favourites that I read over and over again - but there was also Fugitive Wife. Moth to The Flame . . .so many more that I adored.

I was lucky enough to meet Sara in person many... years ago at an Association of Mills and Boon lunch - the first I think - in London. I admit that when I met her and realised who she was, I actually curtsied in respect of her talent and her achievements. From then on I was honoured to call her a friend and her burning intelligence (she won the UK Mastermind award in 1997) vivid wit and fabulous personality brightened so many days at RNA events and others.  

She loved my husband too and he adored her - in spite of her tendency to stroke his knees whenever he dared to wear shorts at the RNA conferences. I shall never forget my last AMBA lunch with her - and then spending a long, warm chatty evening on a settee together while she told me of all the changes in her life recently - including the 'love of her life' her bright as a button new dog.

So I was desperately sad to learn how seriously ill she was only today - and I am broken-hearted to learn that only a couple of hours after I received that news there came the worst news of all - that Sara had passed away far too soon.

I seriously doubt that I wold ever have become a published romance author without the inspiration and example that Sara gave me. I loved her as an author, as person and as a friend. I'm thrilled to know that she saw the books I produced as we shared our careers for some very happy years - not enough ! And I'll always treasure a note from her after reading on of my own titles (The Twelve Month Mistress) - 'Oooerr Missis,' she said, ' you do build up a head of steam - you made me all hot and bothered.'

That was the greatest compliment from one of the greatest women and writers I've ever known.
Rest in peace dear friend - heaven will be all the richer for your wit, intelligence and wonderful story telling.

No comments:

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts