Saturday, March 03, 2018

Mother's Day twice over

Facebook threw a  memory up at me as I logged on today. It didn't surprise me - how could I forget that today is my mother's birthday? But it's an interesting coincidence that this post appears just after I get back from teaching the Advanced Romance Writing Course at Fishguard, when one of the topics that I mentioned was the fact that for some reason the explanation of why a hero behaves as he does, the mistakes he makes, his cynicism about the heroine - and women in general - is so often laid at the door of his mother - who was unfaithful to his father - or some such. I find that a little bit (OK a lot) irritating. Is one woman's behaviour when he was a child enough to turn a grown man - and we do hope that our heroes are 'grown ups' - into cynics about women in general?

 I do hope that mature adults (male or female) would see that one person's behaviour doesn't mean that *every* other woman is like that. And yet I do find that mothers do get a bad press these days in romances these days - sort of like the wicked stepmother without the 'step' bit. So it was interesting to find this post I wrote on the subject back in 2015.
https://kate-walker.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/pink-heart-society-day.html?spref=fb

Anyway - I could never forget my mother. We only get one mother and I'd give the world to be able to celebrate her birthday with her - and I think she'd have loved to know about that Romance Writing Course in Fishguard. This makes it a poignant week, with Mather's Day coming up next weekend. I hope you who are mothers and those whose mother is still alive manage to share some special time together for Mothering Sunday. It might not always be possible

No comments:

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts