Sunday, April 23, 2006

So that was Saturday . . .

Well, I’m not sure where yesterday went. I blinked and here I am on Sunday morning. I know what I did – washing, shopping (we needed a little food!). There was the unexpected request for an article for the Romance Writers of Australia Newsletter. I’m counted as an ‘Honorary Aussie’ since I shared a wonderful Conference with RWA two years ago and the Editor of the Diamonds and Pearls column had spotted some comments I’d made on the ‘rules’ (or, rather, lack of them) of romance writing and wondered if I would enlarge on that for their regular newsletter. As I have a book out in Australia in May, and the topic is something I really feel strongly about, I agreed and as it was on very short deadline, got the article out of the way at once. When the article is actually published, I hope to be able to post it here too in the future.

I shoudl mention that the editor of the D&P column, Bronwyn Jameson, as well as being a friend is also a very fine writer herself and has not one but three books nominated for the Romance Writers of America RITA Award this year. Many many congratulations Bron!

Next there was a l-o-n-g talk with Michelle Reid bringing her up to date on my trip to London and discussions with my editor. And then I turned into a tee shirt making factory.


Hmm- perhaps that needs a little explanation. . . . . The BM is working on a drama event as one of his Writer in Residence projects and there will be a performance for this on Wednesday. The tee shirts were needed for that – for the cast to wear. There is a very limited budget for this and with 7 men to find tee shirts for, and put the appropriate slogan on the front, it meant it had to be a home-made job. So with the help of a pack of tee shirt transfer paper, my computer and seven ‘value’ tee shirts from a local supermarket, we ended up with the necessary tee shirts for just under £20. The fun bit was remembering that we needed to get the lettering back to front so that it would appear the right way round on the actual shirts – but we succeeded and with the BM doing the ‘90 seconds at highest heat and firm pressure’ ironing part of the job while I cut, arranged, and finally removed the backing paper from each slogan, we’ve got the thing done. I just hope that the performance goes well too. A young drama student has put her heart into this and she deserves to succeed.

Oh, and there was the packing up of the prizes for my blog contest winner – Diane and MSCreativity , your books will be on their way to you asap. Interestingly, Diane wanted the oldest book I had a copy of (The Hostage Bride) and MsCreativity wanted my newest (apart from the current book now in the shops) . So she’s getting The Antonakos Marriage.

So that stopped me catching up on a report of the RNA Awards lunch. So I should think about saying something about that. But right now I’m heading for a day out with the BM, the Offspring and his lovely girlfriend

So, hopefully, more later

PS - And talking about the current book - you may remember that I am collecting up a tally of the number of tears this book has caused - well, not the actual number of tears, but the number of readers I have reduced to tears. I learned on Friday that it had made my editor sniffle as she read it in the office - so that tears count for The Italian's Forced Bride is now Readers 13 Editors 1 - and I believe Kate Hardy has read it - so - Kate. . . ?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely day out, Kate! Hope you have the weather we had yesterday (i.e. sunshine rather than threaning showers).

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. If it makes 'normal' people cry, I'd be a wreck by the time I got through it. Coronation Street makes me cry! Even Big Brother made me cry, and I hardly ever watched it! I even cried when I re-read one of my own old manuscripts, even though I knew what was coming and it wasn't that sad! Needless to say, I steer well clear of Lassie :-)

Isn't it strange how 'days off' always end up being busier than 'days on'? Here's to a wonderful Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Whoops, sorry, missed that question because I was reading earlier in sleepdeprived bimbo mode.

Yes, I have indeed read and enjoyed it. There was one particular line in a scene that made me give a sharp intake of breath (as in the sort you use to stave off crying). The whole crux of the book so I'm not giving it away here. I wanted to push the heroine out of the way (oops, sorry) and give the hero a huge, huge hug, tell him everything was going to be OK, and... um... how shall I put this? Comfort him. In the way only a heroine can *g*

Everyone reading Kate's blog or these comments, just go away and read the book instead. And have a tissue or two to hand.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...that's really sweet about the book making people cry. Tough to pull off!

Congrats on the tee-shirts! :)

Anne McAllister said...

If you wrote seven t-shirts back to front yesterday without making any mistakes, you are incredible. Which, of course, we know anyway!

Sid didn't mention the t-shirts. Is he resenting the fact that you spent all day on them when you should have been attending to HIM?

Long letters have been coming this way. Some of them sounding a bit disgruntled. You might want to haul out the kitty treats to make amends (she suggested with just a single claw at the back of her neck).

Anonymous said...

Not fair, The Italian's Forced Bride.....we have to wait here in the good old USA for the release. So how can I shed tears when I can't get my hands on a copy?

The Married Mistress will surely be a hit here as well! I loved this book, so intense and talk about tears!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts