Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bittersweet

If you've been reading this blog since I moved here from eHarlequin, then in March you will have read about 'my' lions - the lions Raffi and his mate Anthea who were rescued from appalling condtions in a cage on the top of a hotel and released into comfort and dignity in the Born Free sanctuary in Shamwari South Africa.

You can read my blog about them here - where I said that both lions were becoming elderly and unwell and that, sadly, time was not on their side. Readers then asked me to let you kow how these wonderful creatures were doing if I had any news.

Even more sadly, today I had a letter from the Born Free Foundation saying that time had finally run out for both lions. They had become increasingly unwell and attempts at treatment were not succeeding so the decision was made not to let them suffer and so, when they were both asleep in the sun, and together as they had always been in life, they were given the help they needed to ease their way into a permanent sleep.

I can only be grateful for the fact that they lived their last years in the natural habitat of the wild life sanctuary and not in the miserable little cage in Tenerife from which they were rescued by Born Free in 1995. And that, for a pair that had formed such deep bond, that neither one had to live on without the other.

So that;s the bitter part. But here is the happier part of this message - my 'adoption' of Raffi and Anthea has been transferred to the latest rescue lion for Born Free - so here she is - my new lionness -

ACHEE (pronounced Ah-kee)

Achee wasrescued from a small compound in Romania where she had lived surrounded by concrete and having to cope with freezing winters. Her early diet was deficient in imprtant minerals as a result, she hadn't grown properly, her health was damaged and she will probably suffer from arthritis later in life. These problems made it even more important that she was rescued from the long, cold winters in Romania and kept in more natural surroundings.

Thankfully, in September 2004 Achee was transported to her new life in Shamwari where she will receive the care, freedom and warmth she needs for the rest of her life.

And yes, if you're wondering, I do still have my wonderful adopted tiger - Roque

If you want to know more about the wonderful work the Born Free Foundation does in rescuing animals then you can find out about it here. And maybe adopt your own big cat, or a wolf, or even an elephant.

And while you're there, please, please, vote in the poll against the use of wild animals in circuses in the UK - it's not just in Romania and Tenerife where the conditions are wrong for these wonderful creatures.

In memory of Raffi and Anthea

5 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Sorry to hear of their deaths, but I am sure the BornFree Association made sure they didn't suffer. Going to sleep in sunshine next to the one they are most fond of sounds like an ideal way to go.
I am sure your new lioness will benefit from your support.

Anonymous said...

Kate - so sad to hear your news. But, as you say, it's bittersweet. They're still together. And you're still helping.

Anne McAllister said...

Raffi and Anthea were blessed to have each other and the help of Born Free (and you) to give them quality to their lives. And you blessed not only them, but all of us by sharing them with us.

Thanks, Kate. May you enjoy Achee, too, as you cherish memories of Raffi and Anthea.

Anonymous said...

Ever since I was little I've felt that it's wrong to use wild animals in circuses and to keep them in zoos. Friends keep asking me to come to Chester Zoo with them and even though I'm told they do a lot for the conservation of animals, I just can't stand the idea of seeing those beautiful animals being kept in confined areas. I certainly wouldn't like it if I were never allowed to leave my house!

It's good that people like yourself are doing what they can to make sure there's less suffering amongst wild animals than there otherwise would be.

~Sharon

PS: My daughter's considering using part of her gap year to work for the Born Free organisation in Africa.

Kate Walker said...

Thank you to everyone for caring. I'll always be grateful to the Born Free Foundation that Raffi and Anthea were rescued and didn't have to live their lives in that hellish cage - and that they had their lives together.

And I'll love hearing about Achee's progress

Sharon - what a wonderful idea your daughter has. Please let me knwo if she does end up working with Born Free - it would be great to know what she's doing. Good luck to her. I would be so envious if she got to see 'my' big cats.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts