Monday, December 03, 2012

Advent Calendar Day 3

I've set myself a problem with getting Charlie to pick the Advent Calendar winners - he's a much younger cat than dear Sid was so he's  out and about a lot more! I managed to get him to pick a winner for the Tote Bags 'n' Blogs prize - the winner was Martha Lawson -    and then he decided that he wanted to go out roaming while there was still some daylight and before it got too cold.  So I'll have to get him back on the job of picking a winner when he comes in for supper.

In the meantime, I want to post up today's question.

Over on Tote Bags, I was talking a bout buying and sharing ebooks - and that was on my mind because I've  been  watching how my ebooks - old and new - are selling since some were re-issued as Harlequin Treasury and M&B Vintage.  It has been interesting to see which of the older books have been bought  since they came out in this format. Amazon show a listing of the bestselling M&B books  and for the past few weeks I've been thrilled to have three books on this list  for almost a month - in spite of the fact that they were all originally published some years ago.

It's made me wonder what sparks off a new interest in an older book - word of mouth? Or some new  readers who have just found my books and want to pick up old ones?   Or readers who read these books when they originally came out  and lost their print copies so now they';re collecting ebook versions to reread. I know that's why I've been buying some of the M&B Vintage classics. 

You can see all the titles of mine that have been reissued as Vintage/Treasury titles in the great banner that Heather has made for the head of this page -  nut there are a couple of other 'oldies' that have been appearing in the Bestseller charts. The top runner for weeks now has been The Sicilian's Red-Hot Revenge, This is a really special book for me as it was my 50th title published. It came out back in 2007. 

The other books that have had a renewed interest in them have been  a mixed bunch - Kept For Her Baby (2009) has been appearing on the list for the past 4 weeks or so - and  now it's been joined by His Miracle Baby (2001). It makes me wonder if someone is wanting to read some older stories with babies in them. I know so many people have written to me to say that thnis are real heart tugging stories so perhaps that's it?

And then of the Vintage titles, the most popular is The Groom's Revenge  (1997)  and The Unexpected Child (also 1997)  - there's another 'baby book'.

So that set me wondering - what golden oldies would you want to pick up if you were buying |Treasury/Vintage titles?  What older books do you remember that you'd love to go back and reread, to see if they were as good as the way you remember them the first time?

You don't have to name any of my books - but I'd love to know if there are any  you'd like to find.

Today's Advent Calendar prize is one of those  bestselling, second time around books - that very special 50th title of mine - The Sicilian's Red-Hot Revenge.(Vito's story)
 
They shared one night of passionate lovemaking. Then in the cold light of day, her secret tore them apart. Now Vito has come back – and he’s determined to have his revenge.
Emily Lawton never expected to see him again. But Vito Corsentino has tracked her down and he wants Emily. This time he’ll take her and he’ll be the one to leave when it’s over.
But Emily has one last secret for Vito . . . She’s having his baby and if he finds out, he’ll want more than revenge!

When only seduction will settle old scores.

Part One of The Sicilian Brothers series is Sicilian Husband, Blackmailed Bride - Guido's story

Don't forget - answers in the comments section and I'll get Charlie on to picking a winner  tomorrow.

Oh yes - and if any of you are real collectors and looking for  some real golden oldies to add to your collection - I have some of those on offer in this Advent Calendar including some  that I think are now totally out of print - keep wathcing thnis space! And I hope you'll join in the rest of the contests as you do.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate.

I'd like to re-read Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught. I remember being enthralled when I first read it as a young adult and wonder if it would still get to me.

Marcy
bmndshuler at hotmail dot com

joye said...

I would get the first book in the Skye O'Malley series by Bertrice Small and any of LaVeryl Spencer's books. I also read some good ones by Rosemary Rogers
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

Kaelee said...

I'd love to reread the Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. I read them as library books when I was first married back in the late 1960's. She was a Canadian writer and there were 16 novels in the Whiteoak Chronicles or the Jalna series. I have managed to find a few over the years but as they were first published between 1927 and 1960 I would be very lucky to find them as ebooks.

*yadkny* said...

I don't think I've read any golden oldies yet.

yadkny@hotmail.com

GladysMP said...

The Sicilian's Red-Hot Revenge just happens to be your book I would most like to read. I would love any book by Leanne Banks for I love her humor.

Mary Preston said...

I can remember reading my older sister's copies of Mary Stewart's books. These would find a welcome place on my bookshelf.

These actually come to mind because of word of mouth. I read a blog post a while back about favorite early reads.

JulieM said...

I can't think of any particular titles I'd want to re-read, but your question reminded me that I first read Mills and Boon books in maths lectures at university. That may explain the low mark I got in the exam at the end of that year!

Laney4 said...

Hi, Kate!
Don't think I've read your 50th book (yet), but I'd love to be able to say I've read ALL your books! (grin)
That being said, I am on a quest. As you probably know, Sandra Hyatt passed away in Aug/11 (not exactly "vintage", as you asked) after being a published author for a little over 2 years. During that time, I noted 7 books of hers had been published. I've really enjoyed reading 3 of them so far and am currently tracking down the remaining 4.

Manisha said...

Hi Kate
How are you?
Yes sure I would like to read one of my favourite books... but I dont remember the title nor the author. I got to read that books during school holidays at a cousin's place and the book was a french version - Harlequin.
I just remember that Cole and Patricia had an agreement for 3 years contract mariage and an unexpected family health conditions bring them together and Cole does not want to annul their wedding.

Regards
Manisha
manisha_0306@yahoo.com

Desere said...

For me the interest comes from when I have already read some of the authors books and I know she is good, that is why I would pick up a vintage book for exsample I had the opportunity to read three of Liz Fielding's older books that have been re-released this week and I was not amazed that they were just as good as her newer ones.Thank you for the giveaway !

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts