Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Birthday thoughts

Today is the BM’s birthday – something which has made me both happy and reflective. The reasons for happiness are pretty obvious. I love preparing birthday presents, treats, surprises. As a result, yesterday we went out for the day with the Offspring and his girlfriend, had afternoon tea in Bettys (but in Harrogate this time, not York) and tonight we will have dinner out too. I have also managed to totally surprise him by presenting him with two books – signed, first editions by James Hanley – an author he much admires.

If any of you read my original blog on eHarlequin, they might remember stories of previous birthday surprises I have arranged for the BM - where the way I got away with ‘hiding’ these was simply not to do that but to put things in obvious places – book on bookshelves for example – so that they were in places he just would not suspect he’d spot this birthday/Christmas presents.

The same sort of thing applies here. Remember those bookshops we went out to explore in Malvern? Well, that’s where I found these birthday books. And when I presented them to the BM, the response was, as I had expected ‘Where did you find those?’ And the answer is - right under the BM’s nose, while he was browsing through some other books on another shelf, I found these, picked them up, carried them to the counter (with two books I wanted for myself either side), paid for them, put them in my bag, carried them back top the hotel, put them in the care, brought them home . . .and he never even noticed!

But the other reason I’m sort of reflective is the realisation that the BM is now 11 years older than his father ever was. He may not be desperately happy about being umpty ump years old – but I’m sure I’m happy about it. It’s one heck of a lot better than the alternative. And as I’ve been hearing some truly tragic stories this last week about people – young people – far too young, some just children - being taken from this world far far too early, I’m just grateful that he’s here and so am I and that we can celebrate this special day with him.

And so, if the number of Babes who who have wished the Magnet a happy birthday are anything to go by, are a lot of other people.

But at a time when the nightly news seems entirely made up of lists of numbers of people dead in one conflict or another, one appalling disaster after another, today reminds me just how important it is to let those we love know that we love them. No matter how young or old, everyone needs to know they are loved, and we all need to make sure that we tell the ones we care for while we still have them there to celebrate with. I know that’s what I’m going to do.

And that reminds me – seeing as I’m talking about special birthdays, yesterday was the birthday of a lovely (and she'll know why I'm saying that!) friend of mine, author Holly Jacobs. Funnily enough, when I was a child growing up, the girl who was my best friend for years until life, moving away from home and all the other things that come between you when you don’t really want them to, this friend’s birthday was August 8th too. I obviously have some special connection with Leos born around this time. So – Holly, and Josephine West (if by any remote chance you’re reading this) – Happy Belated Birthday to you for yesterday.

And Happy Happy Birthday to the BM today - and anyone else who is celebrating with him!

5 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Many happy ones to the BM, Kate. Have a lovely day.

Nell Dixon said...

Happy Birthday to the BM and many more of them!

Anonymous said...

Wishing the BM a very Happy Birthday. Have a lovely evening out.

Love,
Mags

Sela Carsen said...

Happy Birthday BM!!! Consider yourself flashed!

Anna Louise Lucia said...

A very happy belated birthday to the famed (and much adored) BM!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts