Friday, December 15, 2006

Angels or Fairies?

So what do you put at the top of your Christmas tree? When I was little, we always put a star - to remind us of the star that led the Wise Men from the East to the stable in Bethlehem in the story of Christ's birth.

Then, later, when my son was small and I had a rush of blood to the craft-making side of my head, I made some felt decorations to go on the tree and one of those was an angel who always lands on the top of the tree once it's decorated. She's looking a bit worn and grubby now, after umpty-ump years of service at the top of the tree - but tradition is tradition and when I unpack the decoration boxes this weekend, there she'll be.

I don't normally go for fairies. Angels are one thing - my images of angels if they exist, would be great glorious, strong, almost frightening creatures - William Blake sort of angels, not cherubs or pretty pretty blonde girlie angels in pink. My Gabriel, Michael etc would be like my heroes, strong, stunning - awesome.

And for me, fairies are even less appealing - well, the traditional Christmas Tree ones. Fairies with sparkle and glittery frou-frou dresses - blonde curls, and big eyes. But yesterday I found and fell for a fairy - and a fairy in pink, what's more. If anyone had told me it would happen, I'd never have believed it. But this is no ordinary fairy - she's gold wild, corkscrew hair, her dress is a mess with jagged bits and glittery things stuck on here there and everywhere - best of all (to someone who can rarely cram her feet into fashionable 'womens' shoes' - she has big feet in clod-hopping boots. And she's reading a book. (Well, okay - going by the other fairies who all had musical instruments, she's probably supposed to be singing - but she has a sort of a book in her hands)

So I couldn't resist her. I bought her and brought her home and, no she's not going on top of the Christmas tree - but she looks perfectly at home on my mantlepiece.

In fact, I loved her so much that I bought a second one - exactly the same for a very special friend who will love her just as much as I do.

4 comments:

Anne McAllister said...

She's great, Kate. I totally understand about the fairy/angel thing. And on my blog, you'll see that around here the angels are even scarier than William Blake angels -- they're kangaroos! Well, the nearest one is, anyway.

This year we don't have anything at the top of our tree. But there is an angel hovering close (who actually looks as if she's going to a regency ball in her bathrobe, but hey, it works for me).

When you get the tree decorated, take a pic of your felt angel, please, and post it!

Susan Rix said...

I'm definitely an angel person. Although this year (the angel kept falling off, lol) I've used the golden star (the angel is on the windowsill instead).

Blueberri I love the sound of your Victorian angel and the Nativity set.

I hope everybody has a wonderful Christmas and a fantastic 2007!

Sue :-)

Wolfy said...

I love your angel, and she looks so at home where you have her sitting.

Our tree always had a star at the top of it, and now that I am by myself, I don't usually put up a tree, just the ceramic one with the lights that I made a long time ago which has a star at the top.

Kate Walker said...

Blue - I think you're right! She has that wicked smile on her face that tells me she has a very different book hidden behind her hymn sheet

Anne I love your kangangel - or perhaps its an angelroo. But yes, I'll get a picture of the home made angel as well

Cryna she does look at home doesn't she? As if she's been there all her life. I knew she would be perfect as soon as I saw her - and she was

Hope there are angels of happiness for all of you

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts