Thursday, June 25, 2009

Photographing Sid


So the photographer from The Journal came yesterday and we were ready for him - just!

I had needed to do a mad dash round tidying the room, dressing in something presentable (Yes, we all know that real writers spend their days in well work jeans and tee shirts but this was for The Journal - and I had to do Sid proud). I even put on some make-up. At the last minute.


No idea what my photos will look like - I can only cross my fingers and hope - but Sid was a star. Of course.

He was a little shy at first - as he came to us as a stray and had obviously been badly treated wherever he lived before (if I ever got my hands on the oik who peppered his tummy with airgun pellets . . . .) - he's a little shy with men he doesn't know. But Paul the photographer soon got to know him. A few head rubs, and an assurance that he (Sid) looked very handsome (which of course he already knew) and soon he was sitting on my lap (Sid not the photographer!) and posing with his best profile towards the camera.




The trouble was that after that he got the media star bug - and wanted to be in on all the photographs. So the picture of me working on the computer and looking at the screen, was one of me sitting at my desk with my hands on the keyboard - and looking into Sid's face. (well, actually at first I was looking into a very different part of Sid - but we'll draw a veil over that.) And the photo of me with a pile of books in front of me was me with a pile of books - with Sid sitting on the pile of books. And the pictures of my very first published book (The Chalk Line 1984) and my next one out (Kept for her Baby) was a picture of those books buried somewhere under Sid 's imposing bulk.

And then there was the wonderful photograph of A Cat Of Superior Breeding staring right into the camera . . . close up.

Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly-Lummox, the Media star . . .

. . . well, he has been practising his poses on this blog for a couple of years ready for his moment in the spotlight.


He was tired out after all the activity though and had to rest for the remainder of the day.


Oh, and Jan and Lacey - he thanks you both for your
comments and says 'Of course!'. He sends his best purrs and waves an elegant tail to Merlin and Archer too.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a star Sid is! Absolutely gorgeous pics.

Anonymous said...

CarolC said...

Lol Kate, what a great post. Next Sid will be trying to take credit for fifty plus books!

Donna Alward said...

OMGosh, Kate. You should entitle it "Sir Sid and Blossoms" and have it framed.

I know Sid is already quite puffed up about himself, but that pic is a stunner.

Anne McAllister said...

There is no more photogenic cat in the universe than Sid. It's not that there aren't other handsome cats (yes, Sid, there are). It's there he has PRESENCE. He is COMPELLING. He knows how to work a room -- and obviously, a photographer as well. I look forward to seeing his professional photographic debut. But the ones you've posted aren't too shabby either -- because Sid does not take a bad photograph.

Liz Fielding said...

Bless. What a photographic gentleman he is. I have no doubt that the pics (all of them!) will be wonderful.

Kate Walker said...

Shirley - he is a star - the trouble is he knows it! And he gets more fan mail than I do!

Kate Walker said...

Carol - what do you mean he'll be trying to take the credit - he already assumes that he was the one who inspired me to all those titles

Kate Walker said...

Donna - I don't think this cat can take a bad photograph. But yes that is a stunner - and Sid puffed up - well yes - but deservedly so he would say.;o)

Kate Walker said...

Ah, Anne, we all know that your are biased, being v ery partial where Sid is concerned - but then you are his own dear Lady Across the Pond and as you have plenty of experience of getting up close and purrsonal with ACOSB you of course are the one best qualified to judge.

And yes, he does know how to work a room - head up, tail so high, whiskers brushed and quivering . . .

Kate Walker said...

Liz, I know you would love Sid if you met him. But as he is so photogenic the pix will do

He sends you all his best purrs in thanks for your compliments - which of course were well-deserved!

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Sir Sid is looking particularly handsome in these photos Kate! He definitely knows his own worth.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts