Thursday, March 15, 2007

Red Nose Day

Today is Red Nose Day. At least it is in the UK where lots of people do some very silly things to earn cash for the charity known as Comic Relief.

I've tried very hard to think of something silly I could do but my brain cell is deeply involved in the story developing between Raul and Alannah.









I asked Sid if he would do something silly but he said he leaves that sort of thing to the Phraud - the cat who pretends to be him but isn't. A Cat of Superior Breeding doesn't do silly. Not even for Charity.


I started to worry - I wanted to do something for Comic Relief - but I couldn't think of anything.After all, I could wear one of the big Red Noses that are on sale - but I'd be sitting at my desk here all day long and no one would see me. I could tell a joke - but no one (except Sid) would hear me - and actually Sid doesn't have much of a sense of humour. Cats don't.

But then I found a way that I could wear a Red Nose and be seen by everyone who visits this blog- I could Nose-ify myself and look just as silly as I wanted.

So I did





And the BM said he'd take part too - so now you can see what all the fuss is about and why some Babes are threatening each other with Handbags at Dawn over the sheer magnetism of the man.









And in the end Sid decided to join in -
ACOSB has a sense of humour after all.




Okay, so now I’ve made myself look silly I have to think of some way to join in and raise funds for Comic Relief. So as it’s meant to be funny, I thought we’d tell some jokes – if you post a joke the Comments then for each joke (just one joke per person please!) I’ll donate £1 to Comic Relief.

And I’ll start with my favourite ever Writing Joke


A writer died and went up to the pearly gates. There, St Peter asked her whether
she wanted to go to Writers’ Heaven or to Writers’ Hell.

’You mean I get to choose? Well, let me see what each one is like and I’ll tell you where I want to be.’


So St Peter took her down to Writers’ Hell and there she saw all these
many writers chained to their desks, fingers worn to stumps on keyboards as they
wrote and wrote and wrote. And all the time there were devils cracking whips and
lashing them and shouting ‘Write more! Write faster! Faster!’


‘Oh dear,’ said the writer, ‘I don’t like the look of this - it’s much too much like the world I left on earth. Can I see Writers’ Heaven instead?’

So St Peter took her up to Writers Heaven and there she saw all these many writers chained to their desks, fingers worn to stumps on keyboards as they wrote and wrote and wrote. And all the time there were angels cracking whips and lashing them and shouting ‘Write more! Write faster! Faster!’


‘Oh no,’ said the writer,’ this is horrible. It’s really just like Writers’ Hell! How can you call this Heaven?’


‘Ah,’ said St Peter , ‘That’s because there is one great difference between here and Writers’ Hell. Up here we get published.’



So – still on the topic of Comics – to thank you for joining in and sharing the silliness with me, I’ll offer a prize. I’m putting up the cover of a book I wrote that has the closest connection with comedy of any of my novels. The hero was what, way back in 1989, was known as an alternative comedian. And the first person to email me with the name of the book will win their choice of a signed book and a Kate Walker bookbag.


I’m also including this book as it has quite the silliest cover of any – just look at that flat cap – that cravat, the matching handkerchief in the pocket of this natty tweed jacket! Yes, that is so much what a young, rising star of the satirical comedy circuit who has just signed a contract for his first TV series would wear while walking on the Yorkshire moors! And don’t you just love the way that he’s holding hands with a woman who must be old enough to be his mother – in a fetching quilted jacket and lavender ribbed turtle neck sweater. Perfect - for Comic Relief Day


Have fun! And if you’re in the UK don’t forget to make a donation –its fun for us but not for the people the organisers of Comic Relief are trying to help.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

A joke, hmm, something clean...

What do you call a kangaroo at the North pole?


Lost!

(Courtesy of my six year old currently off school today with tummy ache)

Kate Walker said...

Thank you Nicolette - that's £1 in the Comic Relief Collection mug!

Hope the 6 year old soon feels better

Unknown said...

Kate this is SO unfair!

The photos of you, Sid, the bookcover and-- most unfairly of all-- the BM are not appearing on my computer!

A tenner to comic relief if I get to see them!

(GREAT joke, btw-- I'm going to spend the whole day wracking my brains for one now!)

Lee said...

Here's my contribution to the jokes (2 of them actually) --

One day, a man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed in a very Sexy nightie. "Tie me up," she purred, "and you can do anything you want."
So he tied her up and went golfing.

***************

A woman came home, screeching her car into the driveway, and ran into the house. She slammed the door and shouted at the top of her lungs, "Honey, pack your bags. I won the lottery!"
The husband said, "Oh my God! What should I pack, beach stuff or mountain stuff?" "Doesn't matter," she said. "Just get out."

:)

Anne McAllister said...

I knew Sid had a sense of humor.

The flat cap guy was obviously Irish and was lost on the moors. I've read that book. I have that book. Where IS it? Oh, well, someone else can win the prize.

I can't think of a good joke, either. Well, I can, but it's too long to write. But feel free to donate £1 for me from my stash!

Kate Walker said...

Thank you to everyone who joined in

And for the jokes which make me laugh and brightened my day.

So all together, with the £10 India offered for a sight of the BM - or was it Sid? I've donated £16 to Comic Relief (£2 because Lee submitted 2 jokes)in your names!

Thank you!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts