Wednesday, March 14, 2007

No smoke . . .

Today is National No Smoking Day which means that it is now 17 years and one day since I had a cigarette. I think I've managed to kick the addiction now!

One of the best things I ever did. And I have the Offspring and my books to thank for it.

The Offspring because at the age of 11 he told everyone that 'My Mum isn't going to smoke tomorrow' and he made me promise I wouldn't - and I just couldn't have coped with the shame if he'd come home and I'd had to tell him I'd failed him.

And my books? Well, I had just moved into this house. I had an office all to myself instead of working in the spare bedroom. I had bookshelves on which all my books were lined up, together with the growing number of foreign editions and translations I was beginning to acquire - and after four years of being published that number was starting to build up.

And then I went to visit a friend - also a writer - and someone who smoked heavily - far more heavily than me. He showed me his office and I was appalled by the way that the smoke had damaged his books - the covers were darkened and stained, the pages browned. I vowed then and there that I wasn;t going to damage my books in the same way. I'd spent so long getting my writing to this point - I wasn't going to ruin these wonderful books I'd worked so hard on.

So I stopped. Cold turkey - no patches no gum, no aids. Okay, I did chew gum - but not nicotine gum; just ordinary chewing gum - Liquorice and menthol, if I remember rightly. The hardest thing was starting work - I was so used to sitting down, lighting up and starting to write - but the gum helped with that. As did chewing a pencil!! Sometimes it was worse than others - but I got there.

And my son was proud of me

And my books have stayed clean and bright, their pages unstained with brown tar

And I don't get coughs or lay down the risks of other nasties in the future.

A good result all round.

I have a friend who also gave up - and every day on No Smoking day he has one cigarette just to how that he can do that and not get readdicted. I don't think I'll bother. I'm just glad that the thought doesn't even appeal any more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
No smoking day doesn't hold the same dread as it used to for me either. I gave up about 9 years ago, cold turkey also - you cant use patches etc when you're pregnant! But I still remember how hard it was (breadsticks for me and lots of cuddles from my lovely non smoking partner.)ButI also remember how much I loved a cigarette though, so I'd never risk an annual one - tempting fate!
Not sure if I'll ever be able to give up the vino though!
Best wishes,
Rach.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation's Kate. I was so happy when my mum gave up smoking. I know from what people say that it's not an easy addiction to beat so well done to anyone who sucessfully kicks the habit.

Chris.

Michelle Styles said...

Hooray for you. That is something worth celebrating.

My dh was a v heavy smoker until he gave up about 17 years ago. Like you, he went cold turkey. Now the smell turns his stomach and he can't stand being around people who smoke.

Luckily it is nothing I have ever started.

Anna Louise Lucia said...

Kudos to you, Kate, and to the offspring. :-D

Anonymous said...

Well done, Kate! My Dad gave up smoking twenty one years ago today after many failed attempts, so congrats to anyone who has successfully managed to stop smoking. Never tried it myself, I always found that chocolate gave me what I needed!

Anonymous said...

Wow - talk about coincidences. I gave up smoking the same day you did :D As the mother of four I decided it was better for them (especially as one had just been diagnosed with asthma) then, as I was about to give in and have a cigarette, I found out I was pregnant with my fifth child :)

Annie said...

Just stopping by to say congratulations on stopping smoking and staying stopped, Kate.

Also to return your greeting left on the blog I share with India, Eva and Brown. Made India realise she's not the only one who has brushed with fame! Thank you! Glad Sunday was such a success. Sorry I missed it and everyone there.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts