Monday, March 12, 2007

So I promised you pictures . . .

Well that was a wonderful day. Susan Stephens is a fabulous hostess and the party in her beautiful home high up in the Pennines was a delight from start to finish. Wonderful company, wonderful food, wonderful view . . .. I'm sorry, I was too busy talking to everyone so I forgot to take a photo of the view so you'll just have to imagine the rolling hills, the steep valley, the trees, the green . . .

So, as I said, the party was both to celebrate lovely Amanda Ashby's first book - more of that later - and sadly say goodbye to Amanda her husband and two children because they are laving to live in New Zealand in just four weeks time. (By the way those children are very special - Arthr and Molly are just four and six and they managed to eat their special chocolate fondue - strawberries, marshmallows . .. and not get chocolate all over the room!). I don't have pictures of the children but I do have a lovely one of Amanda and Susan.

I knew the afternoon was off to a great start when we actually found the house without me killing the BM. There was a nasty moment when he was sure we were going in quite the wrong direction, but I persuaded him that Sue would know where her house was, better than most. And of course she did. Her brilliantly descriptive directions - including the 'narrow wiggly road' got us to the right place at the right time. So much at the right time that we arrived at exactly the same moment as brand new Presents author India Grey whose very first book The Italian's Defiant Mistress is out in M&B Modern in July this year.

India is truly lovely - and very beautiful. The BM lost his heart to her from the moment that they met. And if her book is as great as she is then it shoudl be a fabulous read. I know that India reads this blog (Hi India! ) and that she and her children love Sid and the Hedgehogs. (sorry that should read that her cat Ruby loves Sid!) Sorry there aren't any hedgehogs about right now - they're still hibernating - but I hope they'll be back with brand new hoglets later in the Spring.
<- L toR India Susan and Me

After a warm welcome by Susan, her lovely elderly dog Finn and her not so elderly lovely husband - we were able to meet up with the Amanda the guest of honour. As I said yesterday, I first met Amanda through the RNA Virgin's scheme I set up in 2003 for the first time attendees at the RNA Conference. (It's now called the First Timers Group or some such). That was a special year for Virgins and I've lost count of how many of them are published - I know that Natasha Oakley was in that group, Nell Dixon. Olivia Gates . . . (I'm afraid of missing someone - so if I have I hope I'll be forgiven) and now there's Amanda.
L to R India, Amanda and Susan ->
I can still remember the first moment I met Amanda when this striking, dark haired woman tried to get into the hall of residence in which we were staying - through the wrong, locked, door. I have vivid memories of her wide, brilliant smile and her fabulous New Zealand accent - and she's stayed a friend ever since. I also worked with her one a RNA New Writers' Scheme script - which I knew at the time wasn't going to fit into theHarlequin stable but it had a great chick lit humourous tone to it - so I was really thrilled when I learned that NAL had bought another of Amanda's books, the wonderfully titled You Had Me at Halo.

You Had Me At Halo is humorous women's fiction about a woman who dies with unresolved issues and comes back in the body of her geeky co-worker in order to sort them out. Coming August 2007. And for readers of this blog who remember my summer Bag of Books contest, I've managed to persuade Amanda to donate two copies of her book to the book bag booty so two of you will get a chance to read this book hot from the press. (I've also twisted India's arm and she's donating two copies of The Italian's Defiant Mistress too - I think I shall want to win the book bag this summer!)

Another writer at the party was Amanda Grange who writes Historical Romantic Fiction, including the acclaimed Mr Darcy's Diary . Amanda (perhaps I should call her Amanda2) shared with me the news that she is celebrating the fact that several of her books are about to be released in America - so if you love historical romance - and specially if you're a fan of Jane Austen - then look out for those.

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur of food, champagne and talk - and as I said, once released from captivity, writers can really talk. We also - being typical writers and being very nosey - explored Susan's beaugtiful house and snooped into her study to see where all her fabulous books are written. Those of you who have visited Sue's web site will know that hse has a great cartoon drawing of herself and her youngest daughter as the heading on there. (A cartoon which, by the way, does not do justice to either of these ladies.) Sue has the original of this on the wall in her office, so my last photograph is of her with the original artework - so you can compare the two!

All too soon the afternoon was over and we all had to leave to drive to opposite sides of the country. I was so sad to asy goodbye to Amanda but we're determined that one day we'll meet up again - and her presence in New Zealand is one added reason for me to try and get back there and see everyone I got to know at the RWNZ conference a couple of years ago.

Amanda - Bon Voyage and good luck to you and your lovely family in your new life in New Zealand. I hope everything goes wonderfully for you. And I'm hoping for every success for You Had Me At Halo - I'm really looking forward to reading that.

India -it was great to meet you and I hope it won't be too long before we meet up again - and The Italian's Defiant Mistress is another book that's on my To Be Bought list. Can't wait!

And Susan - what can I say except thank you for a wonderful day. Your welcome was so typical of your warm and lovely personality. The BM and I had a fantastic time. Thank you!


PS I did mention yesterday that Susan has a book - The One Night Baby - out this month, along with my Sicilian Husband Blackmailed Bride - but she also has her very first book in the Modern Extra Line coming out in May - so look out for Dirty Weekend coming in May - it has a fantastic cover! And I was lucky enough to be given my own copy by Sue - now all I need to to get rid of this Spaniard and I can indulge in a bit of fun reading . . . .

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kate, Ruby is going to be quite impossibly diva-ish now she's had a mention on your blog. And as for me... I only wish the camera was as kind and flattering as you are!!

It was so lovely to meet you at last. And for anyone who hasn't had that pleasure, can I just say that Kate is as warm, wonderful and fascinating as her books-- the exact human embodiment of that 'unputdownable' quality that makes her writing so vibrant and so beloved by millions.

Thank you for a very special afternoon, Kate-- and for my signed book!!

Amanda Ashby said...

Kate, you are such a complete angel!!! Especially, because you were so polite about my nws manuscript and so helpful on how I could improve it. In the end the best improvement I made was losing it in the great computer crash of 2004, but I learnt so much from your comments and from your 12 point guide and they definitely helped when I finally decided to write a weird book about a dead girl getting kicked out of heaven!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a great time. The pictures of you all are lovely. I'm looking forward to reading India's first book too.

Chris.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, bon voyage, I hope leaving the UK won't be too sad, but it seems like you got a great send off! The pics were great, what great women to be celebrating you in such style!
x Daisy/Abby Green

Anne McAllister said...

Have an uneventful move, Amanda! Those are the best kind. And enjoy NZ (I can certainly see why you're moving back!). I will be watching for You Had Me At Halo. It sounds wonderful!

India, I look forward to meeting you someday in person. I've enjoyed you on our Presents loop. And I'm eager to see a pic of Ruby. Looking forward to your first book.

Susan, I envy them all for getting to visit you "on site" and seeing where you live and work.

And a huge thank you to Kate for sharing the day with those of us who weren't able to be there in person. It sounds wonderful!

Sara Hantz said...

Kate, a fab description of the party.... and your loss is our gain. We can't wait to have Amanda back here (don't tell her, we don't want all this attention to go to her head).

And we'll see you and BM when you next come over.... you surely must be due another visit soon.

I'm in UK this year at the end of June, too early for RNA unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you on Sunday, Kate - roll on the conference! It won't be the same without Amanda there :-( but celebrating your 50th book will be fantastic.

Amanda Ashby said...

Thanks everyone - and Daisy you're so right - getting to hang out with such great women was definitely the best send off a girl could have! Especially since no one parties like romance writers!!!

Anne, it's so nice to 'see' you again. I remember meeting you at my first rna conference a few years ago and I really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Kate!
Thank you SO much for this post and those beautiful pictures!! But mostly thank you for bringing back all the wonderful memories of my first RNA conference!

Meeting you and Amanda and Nell and Susan among all the other great ladies there was an incredible experience. Then of course the conference went on to become my most amazing experience to date when I sold my first book there!

I'm so glad you had that very special afternoon together, even though it was a farewell party to our lovely Amanda. Still I have a confession to make. I can't help but feel a tad jealous that you ladies live close enough to each other you can actually see each other from time to time. I would give anything to be able to meet any of you every once in a while. But living over here, I have to wait for conference time, which has more often than not still passed me by and I hadn't been able to make it anyway! :-(

Amanda!
I'm so excited about your book, and it does sound like a must-read. I'm snapping up a copy next time I'm traveling, that's for sure!
I hope you have a great trip back to New Zealand and huge success with your book launch!!1

And while all of you ladies looked great in the pictures, I have this to say to India:

India
I did a double take when I saw your photo! You look so much like my SIL! And even though you think the camera hasn't been kind, let me tell you that she is one of Egypt's most beautiful actresses.

Again, Kate, thanks for the photos. And for the wonderful blog!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts