Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Love Actually . . .

So, getting involved with my current hero is hard work - there are lovely authors offering me parties. (Hi Sue!) . Writing friends and ex-virgins to say goodbye to (And Amanda - I wasn't being polite about your NWS script - I like to think I can spot potential - and you always had it!) New Presents authors to meet (Hi India - and Ruby!) - but I need to get back to work.

So to get myself into the right mind set I did a little research - thanks to my son who last year gave me a copy of Love Actually. L A has plenty of research potential - and no I don't mean Hugh Grant !
There's Liam Neeson who was once the model for Evan in a long ago book called Flirting With Danger. I once saw him on stage too in London and whatever charisma is, that man has it.

But also in LA is the role model for my current hero - Raul aka Rodrigo Santoro - aka Karl in Love Actually. So I did some heavy duty research - hard work but someone has to do it and that helped.

And while I was doing the research, I found a brilliant quote by Richard Curtis, director and screen writer of Love Actually - and it's one I'm going to remember to use the next time someone asks me why I writer those ' trashy novels' when, as someone with an MA, I should really be writing 'proper books' - one that might win me critical acclaim (maybe!)

In response to critics, Curtis said at the premiere,

"I'd rather make a film that most of the audience liked and some critics didn't, than a film that critics loved and nobody wanted to
watch."

Substitute books and read for films and watch and yes, that'll do for me.

Why do I write Romance? . . . It's all about Love, actually!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate what a wonderful quote! So true, I love it.
I'd also completely forgotten about how gorgeous Liam Neeson is,a real favourite of mine. He's lovely hero material- I must get hold of a few inspirational piccies.
How you're finding time to write this week I don't know, all those questions...but we're ever so grateful! Don't wear yourself out.
Best wishes,
Rach.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, Rodrigo Santoro...He was quite exquisite in that film, wasn't he? Oh, the pain and hard toil of research. We writers ought to get paid more!

Emma Wayne Porter said...

You do have an eye for the hero material, that's for sure.

And what a great quote.

Anna Louise Lucia said...

OMG, you're 'working with' Karl????

*swoon*

And wasn't LA a lovely, lovely film? Aside from spending the whole movie suppressing the urge to slap Alan Rickman's character upside the head for being an IDIOT, I loved every second.

It IS all about love, actually.

And woah, there's a Waxi sighting...

Sara Hantz said...

Love Actually is my all time fave film. It has everything.
I must have watched it a dozen times, at least!!! And Karl..... wow......

Anne McAllister said...

Just saw Rodrigo photos from some premiere. He was definitely eye-catching. Makes me want to go back and watch Love, Actually again. And again.

And I agree with Anna about slapping Alan Rickman upside the head. Amen!

Ah, research. What a trial.

Unknown said...

He was also in the Chanel No 5 adverts with Nicole Kidman. Where he was also outrageously, ridiculously gorgeous.

Yum. Am off to re-live the gorgeousness on youtube...

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts