Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Great Big Blog Party 17 - Nell Dixon


I'm extra proud to introduce the next Guest Blogger because not only is Nell Dixon one of my 'ex virgins' and a very dear friend, she's also the winner of this years' RNA Romance Prize. One of my favourite memories of this year so far will be the completely stunned and disbelieving look on Nell's face when the result of the contest was announced and her book Marrying Max was declared the winner. I'm wondering if she's recovered yet.



As Nell tells in her blog, she and I met at the RNA Conference in Guildford when she was one of my original group of 'Virgins' - ahem Conference First Timers. They were a great bunch those Guildford Virgins and I've just about lost count of how many of them have gone on to be published - Nell being one of them. And now Nell has won the Romance Prize Award, beating off some stiff competition - including yours truly! But I won't hold that against her.

Nell with me just after her win at the Savoy ->



One of my favourite memories of last year's Conference in Penrith was the long late night talk that several of us - Nell included - shared in one of the kitchens after the Saturday night dinner. it's at times like that the I really appreciate the way that writing - and writing Romance in particular - has brought so many friends into my life. Amongst whom, I'm delighted to include Nell.(Who is another one who seems determined to make me blush)



So here is the current holder of the Betty Neels Rose Bowl trophy - Nell Dixon



Hi, I’m Nell Dixon and Kate has kindly invited me to be one of her guest bloggers for her celebratory party. For those who don’t know me I write contemporary women’s fiction for a number of publishers and I recently won the RNA’s Romance Prize for my book, Marrying Max.

Wow! It’s so exciting that Kate is celebrating her 50th book. I had been reading Kate’s books for a number of years before I first got to ‘know’ her. I joined a site called eharlequin and discovered to my huge delight that there were real authors on there, like Kate. Not only were there real authors, but they would talk to you and answer your questions. I always seemed to have lots of questions.


One of the authors who always took the time to answer those questions was of course, Kate. She also held a very helpful workshop for another on line group I belonged to called Gonna-beez. The workshop and Kate’s advice made a huge difference to my writing. Not to mention her twelve point guide to writing romance which for a while when we chatted had the moniker, the twelve pint guide due to a typo!


I went on to join the Romantic Novelist’s Association and subsequently met Kate for the first time in person when I went to their conference. I was in a lovely group of people nicknamed the virgins. Many of Kate’s ‘virgins’ have subsequently gone on to great success and I’m sure her advice and most importantly, her encouragement, has helped many of us.
Kate is as lovely in real life as she is in cyber space and I know I’m making her blush by writing this (he he) but what else are parties for if not a little embarrassment for the hostess? Ever since I’ve met Kate I’ve felt very privileged to count her as a friend.


A Kate Walker book is always a treat for readers, sexy heroes, interesting heroines and a great plot that draws you into another world. She has a huge following and deservedly so. I’m looking forward to the next fifty books from Kate.
More info about Nell and her books can be found on her website or her blog
GIVEAWAY:
Nell's prize is a signed copy of her book Things to Do
QUESTION:
Which romance that you've read in the last year would you give a prize to?
As always, answers in the comments section please and Nell will pick a winner soon

16 comments:

juliemt said...

Congrats again, Nell on winning the RNA award! I hope that it's the beginning of a highly successful career.

As for books I'd award prizes to, for category romance I'd award Liz Fielding a prize for the fabulous The secret Life of Lady Gabriella which was fantastic!

For single titles, I really loved Dangerous Waters by Jane Jackson - it's a Victorian historical romance which I really loved.

Love,
Julie

Cherie J said...

I would have to say Jacob by JacQuelyn Frank should be an award winner. It was one of those books that was really hard to put down.

Cherie J said...

Sorry! Forgot to say congratulations on the award in my previous post. Got distracted by my baby girl.

Nell Dixon said...

Oh, I love the secret life of Lady Gabriella. It's a fabulous book. I've lots of favourites and hope to get some good recommendations too!

Unknown said...

Congrations on the award. O'My Gosh I have had a lot of favorites this past year The Secret Life of Lady Gabriella, I really loved What A Lady Wants by Victoria Alexander and also The Married Mistress by none other then Kate Walker. Take your pick.

Donna Alward said...

I really really love anything Fiona Harper is writing right now. And Back to Mr. and Mrs. by Shirley Jump was fab.

But I think my favorite was Vivi Anna's Nocturne, Blood Secrets.

Congrats on the award Nell and I still have my fingers crossed for you for you-know-what. :-)

Sue A. said...

Congratulations Nell on winning the RNA award!

I still haven't read a book worthy of an award this year, but I'm working on it as I have a mile high TBR pile.

robynl said...

Congratulations Nell on winning the RNA award! Throws confetti.
Anna DeStefano's The Perfect Daughter would get my award.

Maureen said...

Congratualations on your award. I would pick The Preacher's Daughter by Cheryl St. John.

Nell Dixon said...

Oh, these are some great choices. I'm adding some to my list to buy. Can't wait to see if we get some more.

CrystalGB said...

Congratulations Nell on winning the RNA Award.
Elizabeth Hoyt's The Raven Prince is the book I have read that I would give an award.

ChristyJan said...

Congrats on your award.

I would second Cherie's nomination for Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank and I would also include her second book in the series, Gideon.
I would also include Just Wicked Enough by Lorraine Heath.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award! Now, what would I give an award to from the books I've read this year?

* The Secret Life of Lady Gabriella (Liz Fielding - her books always have such heart and they make me smile)
* Sold and Seduced (Michelle Styles - I think she's coming on in leaps and bounds and I'm only just stopping myself from reading the next one as I have a screaming deadline)

* The Italian's Defiant Mistress (India Grey - I am on deadline but this happens to be on my desk and I've been sneaking in little bits - from what I've read so far, this is a super debut).

And finally I'm going to cheat and nominate a book I read last year because it's so good - Audrey Niffenegger's "The Time Traveler's Wife" - just superb. Great characterisation, a heroine you want to hug and a hero you half love, half want to slap - and the most incredible plot!

Lis said...

Congrats again Nell :o)

Favorite books of the year, the only one I can think of right now is Stephanie Tyler's blaze RISKING IT ALL. I'm about to reread it for the 3rd time.

tetewa said...

I would third the nomination for Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank. Loved this book and I'm looking forward to reading Gideon next. Nell congrats on your award also!

Nell Dixon said...

Mmmm, very interesting suggestions. I didn't like the Time Travellers wife as with my dyscalcula I found all the jumping about very difficult to follow.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts