Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Kate Bit

Amanda say that I should get used to the blushing because she reckons it's going to happen a lot over the next fifty odd days. But I'll admit that it's taking some getting used to. And the problem is that I can hear my mother's voice in my ear telling me sternly not to let it go to my head!

My mother was great at dishing out what she thought was even handed praise that ended up sounding like nothing at all. The classic 'I'm proud of all my daughters' was the one she responded with when someone asked if she was proud of me for getting my MA. So I think that was a yes - sort of!

And then of course there was the fact that to many, my childhood, girlhood dream of being a writer was just that ' a dream - and I should come down out of the clouds and get real (though they wouldn;t have said that way back when) and get a sensible job . (They very defnitely said that!) So I did that - and I became a writer.

Perhaps this is why I love working with new writers and 'wannbe' writers so much - I remember only too well they way it felt to have those dreams and to want - need - to work hard to make them come true. Because that's the combination - the wanting and the working - that makes your own luck!

So as I've been working on a new Blog Party post, ready to put it up here and I'm reading yet more stuff that makes me blush, I have some lines from a favourite poem going round and round in my head - it's one that works for romance and love and for hopes and dreams. It's by William Butler Yeats and the lines are:

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.


These celebrations are because I held on to my dreams - so today I'd like to wish you all good luck with your dreams - whatever they are - I hope that one day they come true.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Kate, really beautiful. See you later today!!!!!!
x Abby

Anonymous said...

Lovely sentiments. One of my favourite poems, too. (And am SO looking forward to seeing you shortly!)

Anonymous said...

I love that poem--Yeats is one of my favourite poets. Thanks for your encouraging and inspiring words--sometimes I think it is hard for new or aspiring authors to believe that the established experts were once in their situation--but of course they were, and looking back now must make it all the more wonderful and real for you. I hope you're enjoying every minute or nearly!

Donna Alward said...

Kate, you are so lovely.

I too had parents who wanted me to do something "practical" with my life, even though my head was always in the clouds (at the time it was music). Little did they know that the English degree would come in handy later. I just couldn't exorcise that creative soul. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate.

I'm glad that you held on to your dreams.

Enjoy your celebrations.

Chris.

PatriciaW said...

Beautiful poem.

If you're over 35, you most likely had "practical" parents. Because that's what they had, so that's what they taught. It was steeped in love and concern for our futures in a very different world than we live in today.

Today the world seems so much more accepting, accessible, and limitless. I know I'm teaching my sons to chase their dreams, as are most of my peers. My parents wanted security and safety for me. I want safety and happiness for mine.

Glad there are folks who've gone before me that can help me now chase my dreams.

Heather Rae Scott said...

I adore the poem. I found a quote today by a news anchor that I highly respected and got used to listening to in the evenings and I immediately thought of you, especially since you've written guides to help writers--to teach us.

The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." ~Dan Rather

Thank you for tugging, pushing, poking and leading me to the next plateau.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Thanks for the beautiful Yeats poem, Kate!!! I was thinking I should read some poetry and after finding this post, will get right on it. :)

Good morning!!! We had a wild storm ride through MI last night but my area was only skimmed.

The orchard looks promising this year. :) We even have pears for the first time. We hope to have more plums this year too. The sweet cherry has grown healthily and it'll be a chase to see who gets the berries first, the cedar waxwings or us. LOL

Have a super day!!!

Hugs, Nancy

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts