Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Kate Bit - Hedgehog update

Well, the hot cowboy discussion got you all going- look at that number of comments! – Donna will be back to pick a winner when she wakes up and I’ll be posting a new guest blog in a moment. But here’s my quick catch up in between.

I’m going to announce the details of the Great Big Celebration Contest – yes more prizes! But first I have news for all of the Heck fans.

Those of you who have been following the on going saga of our little family of hedgehogs who live at the bottom of the garden will probably be glad to know that in spite of dire predictions in the press that the mild beginning to the year would have meant that the hibernating hogs would wake too early, come out and starve because there wasn’t enough food in the form of slug and snails around, the Great Hecks have obviously been happy and snug in Hedgehog Towers – and they’ve been – er – busy – too – because last night we had three little hedgehogs out on the lawn, looking for cat crunches and cast off cat meat.

I haven’t had a chance to photograph the little ones yet, but if I get a chance I will.

But any of you with a garden who might like to consider helping these lovely – if prickly creatures by providing them with a home to hibernate safely in – you can learn more about it here
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/hedgehog_homes.htm

If you remember, we just put out our hedgehog house with a bundle of leaves and straw outside and they dragged it all into the den and made themselves cosy – and then made more hedgehogs!So I just have one question – if the hedgehogs are well and happy and a hedgehogs natural diet is slugs and snails – how come I have a problem with snails on my bedding plants? Seems to me that he Hecks are just a little too happy!

Oh – and I’ve heard a rumour that the Heck family want to post a Guest blog at some point in the future – this should be interesting!

2 comments:

Anne McAllister said...

Glad to see the Hecks are thriving. Give them my best!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the hecks are thriving.Whenever I read your updates about the hecks it makes me incredibly homesick. I so miss the English countryside and all the wildlife. After having seen something of the Pembrokeshire countryside when you visited Fishguard last year I'm sure you can appreciate that the flat boring scenery in Dallas just doesn't do it for me. There are some beautiful places in Texas, just not where I live unfortunately.

That said the weather is a plus. Being someone who loves the heat I have to say that the glorious sunshine we have for most of the year makes up for a lot of other things.

Chris.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts