Monday, June 25, 2007

Great Big Blog Party 21 - Nicola Cornick

Strictly speaking, if I'm going by the date of arrival in my Inbox, today's blog should be by Kate Hardy but I know that Kate is on a screamingly tight deadline and so I'm giving her a day's breathing space and turning instead to lovely Nicola Cornick whose fantastic historical novels are such a delight to read.
Nicola is one of the many writing friends I've made through the Romantic Novelists' Association and for two years she ran the RNA'S New Writers' Scheme so we were often in touch about the scripts she sent me to critique. Regular readers of this blog will remember that I had one of Nicola's books Lord Greville's Captive (Also known affectionately as Cavalier in Bondage!) in my Christmas Stocking stuffed with books contest - and that that book was later shortlisted for the RNA Romance Prize.
Nicola's current book - with the fabulous title of Lord of Scandal is out this month in HQN books and as well as a great title it also has a wonderful cover. This book is the one that Nicola is giving away as her prize to one lucky commentator.

Here's Nicola Cornick
50 Books – It is Rocket Science!

I’ve always been useless at maths so when I looked up the number fifty on the internet to see what its special numerical qualities were it’s no real wonder that I couldn’t understand a word. Fifty is the smallest number that can be written as the sum of two squares in two distinct ways? Well, okay, but...

Then I read on and saw that fifty is a magic number. Now that I can understand. I don’t get it in the nuclear physics, rocket science sense, of course, but in the sense that it’s magic and an amazing achievement. Writing 50 books shows creativity, imagination and dedication and Kate has those qualities in abundance. I have so many of her books on my keeper shelf and only last night was late to bed because I was re-reading Hers for a Night.

I remember when I first met Kate at a Harlequin Mills and Boon author day about 10 years ago. I was totally in awe of her. Liz Fielding had taken me under her wing and introduced me to a few people and I’ll never forget their warmth and friendliness to me, a newbie author who was just starting out. Kate was one of those people and her kindness and encouragement made a huge impression on me. I’m still in awe of Kate’s achievements and also of the dedication she has shown in helping other authors to achieve publication through the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers Scheme and her other mentoring as well. She's a star in so many ways.

Kate, congratulations on reaching the magic fifty! Keep writing those fabulous books!


GIVEAWAY:
I have a copy of Lord of Scandal, my June 07 "Regency Celebrity" book, to give away.

GIVEAWAY QUESTION:
My question is which actor would make the best hero of a Jane Austen drama? Did you like Matthew MacFadyen in Pride and Prejudice or James McAvoy in Becoming Jane? Or do you have another personal favourite?

Bio: Nicola writes historical romance for Harlequin Mills and Boon and single title Regencies for HQN Books. She lives in a cottage in the country with her husband, her adorable Labrador Monty and two characterful cats. Website www.nicolacornick.com

25 comments:

juliemt said...

Hi, Nicola!
Wonderful to see you here! I hope that Lord of Scandal is a massive success for you.

I adore Jane Austen and I loved Matthew MacFayden in P&P and I'm waiting for Becoming Jane to become available on DVD so that I can watch it. But for me the perfect Jane Austen hero will always be Colin Firth as Darcy. Absolutely scrumptious. I also loved JJ Felid in the latest adaptation of Northanger Abbey - and Ruper Penry Jones just made me swoon in Persuasion!

Love,
Julie

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Nicola! I hope the new book is a huge success!

And the answer to your question -- any question involving heroes of any kind -- is Hugh Jackman. Just love that man in breeches :)

Liz

Unknown said...

I think it has to be Ciaran Hinds in the BBC 'Persuasion'. Although I think they need to get Sam West to play a hero in one instead of playing the baddie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicola! Lovely to see you here.

For me it'd be Richard Armitage. (Yes, I know... Gaskell, not Austen. And as you know I am *cough* not a Janeite. But he would work v well in any costume drama. As well as being gorgeous, the man is a v good actor!)

PS Kate - thank you - I am nearly done. And I'm partying later today...

Donna Alward said...

I have to second Liz's vote...but I'm on a bit of a Jackman kick right now anyway.

He would make a very good Mr. Knightley. :-)

Stacy S said...

Congrats on the new release. I would have to go with Colin Firth.

CrystalGB said...

I always think of Colin Firth when I think of Jane Austen movies. :)

Minna said...

Colin Firth would be my choise.

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved James Purefoy in Vanity Fair, so he would be my top choice. That being said, I agree with Liz on enjoying seeing Hugh Jackman in breeches, or out of them for that matter :)

Unknown said...

I love Colin Firth also

Jan Jones said...

Have to admit I did love, love, love Colin Firth as Darcy. I also loved Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth.

However........

I do think Viggo Mortenson could play Darcy better. Hell, he could play all of them better. And if some enlightened producer could just cast me as Elizabeth Bennet or Anne Elliot or Elinor Dashwood...

Lois said...

Fancy seeing you here! LOL :) I've only seen P&P (the 1940, 1979, 1995 and 2005 versions) and thank you very much, Colin Firth is practically Mr. Darcy God here!!!!!!! :)

I have seen Persuasion (1995 and 2007) right after reading that one, and I much prefer the Captain Wentworth from 2007.

But sorry, Colin Firth as Mr Darcy is way first in my book. :) (I did like Laurence Oliver as a number 2) ;)

Lois

Anonymous said...

Colin Firth did a big impression on me. Colin seems to get many votes, but then again, he's gorgeous!

Lis said...

Colin Firth is Darcy to me, but I admit Matthew MacFayden is growing on me the more I watch that version. :o)

lidia said...

Nicola,

Hi there!

Would you believe that I would love to see Pierce Brosnan as a Jane Austen hero. I just love his dark looks!

Maureen said...

My favorite was Colin Firth as Mr. Darby

robynl said...

James McAvoy in Becoming Jane, please and thank you.
Welcome to Nicola and hi!!!

Mona said...

Hey Nicola,

Great to meet you again. Congrats on the new release. I know Lord of Scandal would be a success. I think you already know by now that I'm a big fan of your books.
I also agree with Liz. Hugh Jackman would be a very interesting choice.

Scarlet Wharton said...

Mathew MacFadyen hands down, I loved this story when I was thirteen, my mother actually found me a green leatherbound set and I was hooked! Jane Austen was my first romance and I've never looked back...oh I still have that leather bound set too.

Cherie J said...

Colin Firth would be my choice.

Unknown said...

Hello Nicola! I would have to go with Colin Firth as Darcy. He is one hunk that can set his shoes under my bed any time. Oh! what the heck I'am an old lady that likes to dream.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicola. Congrats on the new book.


How about Jude Law or Clive Owen.

Kate Walker said...

Oh dear - now I wish that Nicola was here to be able to chat with yuo and talk about all these wonderful heroes!

I've been reading your answers and drooling. And you're all making me want to go off and do some intensive research - Richard Armitage - Colin Firth - Pierce Brosnan - Clive Owen - Matthew MacFadeyn . . .

Oh but Liz - how could you Liz . . . ou went and mentioned THAT MAN in breeches (just for a change from THAT MAN in a towel!) Now I have - just have - to go and watch Kate and Leopold all over again even if Meg Ryan does irritate the hell out of me.

Jan that's an intriguing suggestion - must admit I've never thought of Mr Mortensen as Darcy . . ..

Okay I'm off to ask Sid to pic a winner and I'll be back later. It may be quite some time later as I may get distracted . . .

Hugh Jackman in breeches - and boots . ..

Kammie said...

Hi Nicola! Matthew MacFayden is my favorite out of all the Pride and Prejudice heroes. I think I've watched this version at least a fifty times. And...replayed the best parts at least 100 times. lol

I think Clive Owen would also make a good Jane hero.

ChristyJan said...

I would have to cast my vote for Colin Firth also.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts