Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Great Big Blog Party 44 - Day Leclaire

So who can follow Hunkthighs and Shoulderman into the Great Big Blog Party?

It's not an easy task but I have a brilliant writer who I think can live up to the challenge. Her name is Day Leclaire.


Those of you who've been reading for a while will remember that back in February I wrote about a Great Day For Romance - and I really can't do much better for my introduction here to copy from that post.

Here's what I said:

Ten years ago if you’d asked me to name my favourite category romance writers, one name would have been right there on the list without a moment’s hesitation. The name of an author who wrote truly magical romances with gorgeous, sexy heroes and bright, appealing and totally individual heroines. An author who’s ‘tag line’ is Books that leave you laughing through the tears! – and she certainly accomplished that. Her books always had that – well I’m going to use that word again – that magical quality that turned them into modern day fairytales – not fairy stories note - and yet still had such believable, vibrant real life elements that you totally believed they could exist in the modern world – and at the same time made you wish that the real world could be as magical as these books made them out to be.

Day wrote over 30 books the came out in Harlequin Romance , Special Releases, a Single Title and the Forrester Square continuity. She was nominated for a RITA award no less than 10 times and won numerous other awards for her writing. I loved her books, looked for each new one eagerly, snatched it off the shelf, devoured it in delight

But then real life intruded into Day’s writing. She became ill, diagnosed with breast cancer almost six and a half years ago. Anyone who was lucky enough to know her then knows that she faced the disease with a grace, courage and humour that for me at least was truly inspirational and frequently brought tears to my eyes. At the time the BM and I were going through some tough times but knowing that Day was going through worse, and still picking herself up and carrying on, helped me such a lot. She came through the illness, and although the treatment was successful, as she says in her blog, afterwards “ I found that my creativity had gone to sleep.” The writing dried up. The books stopped appearing and fans like me could only go back to their collection of ‘keepers’ and remember.



But then the great news was that Day was back – and back with a vengeance. I read her Royals Trilogy - OK – the word here is devoured. I devoured her Royals Trilogy with every bit of the enjoyment I remembered in reading a Day Leclaire story and I am so looking forward to her August and September releases. I know she’s been busy on revisions and other things so I’m specially happy that she’s find the time to come and join us at the Great Big Blog Party today.

So - welcome – Day Leclaire


I think women, in particular, are outstanding at celebrating special moments. We women excel at recognizing not only our own achievements, but more often the achievements of those around us. And there's a reason for that. I believe women have an innate understanding of the importance of these fleeting peaks in our existence, and how they mark our progress through the transient joys of life. In real life, versus in the fictional worlds we writers create, those joys can sometimes be all too brief, all too infrequent, and often cut short. That makes them all the more important to celebrate...and celebrate well! So what a wonderful reason Kate Walker has offered us, so that we can all stand up and cheer her success!

Kate has created some of Harlequin Presents' most cherished stories, full of warmth and passion and intense conflict. Can anyone say, A Sicilian Husband? She's created a wonderful legacy...a body of work that is a treasure-trove of emotional journeys, overcoming adversity, and validating the existence of "true" love. That's quite an achievement. I can only hope that a few years down the road I'll be celebrating her 100th release with as much delight as I celebrate her 50th. Congratulations, Kate! Keep 'em coming!

Love, Day

Bio:

USA Today bestselling romance author, Day Leclaire, has published more than 40 books and has been nominated for Romance Writers of America's most prestigious award, the RITA, an impressive 10 times. She's described by Harlequin as "...one of our most popular authors ever!"

Old Flame, New Sparks, August 2007 Release, Harlequin/NASCAR books
The Billionaire's Baby Negotiation, September 2007 Release, Silhouette Desire

Web Address/Email:

http://www.dayleclaire.com/
Day@DayLeclaire.com

GIVEAWAY:

( From Kate: Day has been amazingly generous with her prize giveaway - I'm not sure whether this is all for one winner of if she's going to spread the prizes over a couple of you - but I can tell you one thing - you'll have to get in line behind me for The Billionaire's Baby Negotiation - I've already met Joc in the Royals Trilogy - and I want to read more!)

An autographed copy of Old Flame, New Sparks
An autographed copy of The Billionaire's Baby Negotiation (when released)
Autographed set of The Royals trilogy for one lucky winner.

GIVEAWAY QUESTION:

I suppose I liked books from an early age, but there was one, in particular, that cemented my love for the written word. We had a teacher who read books aloud to us and one of the books she chose to read was Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. I was utterly captivated, and more than anything I wanted to be able to read that book by myself. As soon as the teacher finished it, I went to the library and checked it out. I devoured every word. That was the true beginning of my love for books and reading. I returned to the library the next week and checked out a half dozen more books. After that, my nose was permanently glued to the pages. So here's my question...
What book inspired you to be a true reader and why?

31 comments:

robynl said...

Sandra Brown's Texas Trilogy: Texas Chase, Texas Sage and Texas Lucky. I met 3 great characters and became friends with them and got to go along on a journey with them. I cried with them, laughed with them and was happy for any love they got.

Anonymous said...

I think i was always a reader...Ever since i can remember i had a book in my hand (ask mum if you dont believe me)
i used to go to the library every saturday to get a new batch of books and had soon read out two of them (libraries that is)
When in infants school (ie aged 5-7 ish) i was going over to the juniors building to get my books.

Books that stand out for me from when i was younger though were things like "the snow spider" and the Nigth world series by LJ Smith.
There were all those mystery/crime/horror series too...what were they called? uhh the 'Point....'books, i think i read all of them =D

Anonymous said...

We lived with my grandparents when I was growing up. Their house was full of books so I read widely from a very early age. Then, when I was eleven, the combination of an inspirational teacher and a set text at school really started me off! Alan Paul and T.H White's 'The Sword in the Stone' made me realise that books could inspire a whole mix of emotions in the reader. They didn't have to pigeonholed as simply 'funny', 'sad' or 'romantic'.

felinewyvern said...

I can confirm that Ayla is telling the truth - she had a library ticket by the time she was 2 (as did all her brothers). They learnt their love of reading from me.

However I have no idea where I got my love of reading from, as I cannot remember a time when I didn't read. I do remember being hooked on books like 'The Owl Service by Alan Garner' and the 'Narnia Chronicles by C S Lewis' as a child, as well as devouring all the 'Myths and Legends' I could find from all around the world.

Oh and I just want to add that I have loved Day Leclaire books since I read her Fairytale Weddings series.

Ray-Anne said...

I was taught to read before I went to school and I clearly remember the Enid Blyton 'Five go down to the Sea' etc. The local library was my second home! Andre Norton was a favorite- the yellow Gollancz SF books. Beast Master. Fantasy worlds.
What a wonderful question.
Thank you for that visual trip back in time. Ray-Anne

Unknown said...

When I was three I sat myself down next to my mother, thrust a book at her and told her to teach me to read!!

I have no idea what book it was but the books I loved as a child were Enid Blyton Faraway Tree series, The Worst Witch, Meg and Mog and then as I grew older I was devouring every book I could find and read everything in my primary school by about age eight.

I can remember at age twelve my mother telling me I couldn't read 'Tim' by Colleen McCullough... I agreed because I had actually read it six months before :-) There was never any point censoring my reading habits, where there is a will there is a way!!

Minna said...

I've had a book in my hand as long as I can remember.

CrystalGB said...

I have been an avid reader since I was a small child. We didn't have television for years and I read a lot. Every week I would check out as many books as the library would allow.

Cherie J said...

I remember reading The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein as a little girl. My mom read to us from babyhood, something I am now continuing with my 4 year old and even my 9 month old baby girl. The Giving Tree was a book I had read read over and over and could never forget and now I get to share it with my own precious little ones. My baby girl is a perfect example of how you can never start too young. She smiles when I read to her and hugs her books. She will pick up a book and hand it to me to read to her and her attention is glued to the book until I am done. Guess it is genetic since my husband says I do the same. :-)

Tessa said...

Robyn, I can't believe you mentioned the Texas trilogy! I kid you not I'm in the middle of rereading it. (Took a short break to get my Harry Potter fix). Isn't that an amazing collection of stories?

Day Leclaire

Tessa said...

Ayla,

I'm not familiar with some of the books you mentioned, so I've jotted them down and will check them out. I'm a huge fan of children's books, though of course, romance remains my favorite!

Day

Tessa said...

Christina,

I, too, grew up in a household surrounded by books. Dad read science fiction and mystery. Mom biographies, historical fiction, and romance.

Day

Tessa said...

Ilona,

Thank you for the lovely comments about my Fairytale Wedding series. Those were some of my favorite books to write. I suspect some of the inspiration came from an old, old edition of the Brother's Grimm fairy tales, a much read, battered book that I still own today.

My husband introduced me to the Chronicles of Narnia. I found the stories touching, mythical, inspirational, and utterly fascinating. I've always loved children's literature, a love that continues today.

Tessa said...

Hi, Ray-Anne,

I think it's important to remember the spark that first drew us as readers and to try and light that spark in each progressive generation. I never cared what my son read--comic books, video game instruction manuals, magazines. Eventually, so long as he kept reading, he'd come across something that lit that special fire for him. And he did. Brian Jacques.

Day

Tessa said...

Biddy,

I absolutely agree. Where there's a will, there is indeed, a way. (Title of the second book I ever wrote, as a matter of fact), lol.

I think what's more important is being able to discuss openly some of the more progressive books children come across and understand how they're absorbing the information.

Day

Unknown said...

I guess Gone With The Wind is what really got me started reading. I really can't remember when I started reading. My father was always a big reader, but it was western novels, which was something I didn't get into. I can remember reading GWTW at least four times when I was young. Loved the book.

Tessa said...

Minna and Crystal,

I love hearing that, since I agree wholeheartedly. I will say that I had an unfortunate librarian in elementary school. When I "discovered" books...and that I could read them and discover all these intriguing new worlds on my own, I took out probably a dozen of them each week.

When I'd return them, she didn't believe I'd read them that fast, though I had. So, she'd quiz me on them. Where she and I parted ways (and I ended up at the public library) was on the occasion when I'd come across a book I didn't like, and therefore didn't finish. To her that was proof that I was borrowing these books under pretext and therefore "stealing" the opportunity for other readers to have access to them.

I've never understood that sort of "hoarding" attitude when it came to books. But I get the impression, she wanted them kept safely in the library and not in the careless hands of the students, lol.

Day

Tessa said...

Cherie,

I kive that book! And I love the idea of you lighting that wonderful spark in your children. Isn't that what it's all about??

Day

Tessa said...

Cherie,

Okay, losing it. I meant to say: I love that book, lol.

Day

Tessa said...

Virginia,

GWTW was one of my mom's favorite books, too. And I can't count the number of times she's watched the movie.

Day

Scarlet Wharton said...

No one is gonna believe this...Black Beauty I was in second grade and I wanted a horse sooo bad, the teacher, read that story to us and I sat back dreaming of me on that horse and I was permantely lost to the written word from that day on...I read everything..Romance, mystery,intrigue, horror,comedy, history, self help, I even own a set of encyclopedias because any book that can take me some where or help me or give me information...is My kind of destination.

Kammie said...

I didn't read very much when I was young. In my teens, I read a little romance and remember my mom driving me all around to book stores to browse. That only lasted a short time. It wasn't until my mid twenties that I picked up a Judith McNaught book, Whitney My Love, at the suggestion of a friend and that was what got me hooked. The suggestion came because I was stressed at work and she thought it would relax my mind. It did and I liked it so much that I ran back to the store and bought every book she had out on the shelf.

I still read romance today to escape away. I love the happy endings that come along with the stories.

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Day! Lovely to see you here.

One book? I can't actually remember not reading, so that's tricky, but I do remember seeing an television adaptation of Emma (it was in black and white, so you can tell how long ago that was!) and knowing that I had to go and read the book because it would give me more than the screen. And having to blag my way into the adult library to get it.

Tessa said...

Scarlet,

I sympathize entirely. I used to collect plastic horses when I was younger. I think I wanted to be a horse, lol.

Tessa said...

Kim,

I absolutely loved Whitney. My mom is a huge fan and scarfs up all of McNaught's books even faster than I do.

Tessa said...

Hi, Liz!

I really missed you at National. Maybe San Francisco??

I just bought a lovely hardback version of Pride and Prejudice (the novel) to add to my library and have all the movie versions. Garson/Olivier is probably still my favorite, though the Colin Firth one is a close second.

Such a lovely story!

Best, Day

Kate Walker said...

Oh this is all taking me back - constant visits to the library - yes - librarians who thought I couldn't possibly be reading all thosebooks - yes - even collecting plastic horses. Do you think there's something in here that makes us see how a budding romance writer grows up?

I couldn't name one book that made me a reader - there were way too many - but I share Madeleine L'Engle with Day - The Sword in the Stone - Alan Garner's stories - CS Lewis's Narnia books - Enid Blyton . . . So many wonderful familiar names. I remember I started reading Wuthering Heights because it was next on the shelf after all the Famous Five books - Bronte coming after Blyton.

And there was a fabulous book called Simona's Jewel that I blogged about a while back . . .

I can see I'm going to have to hunt out some old favourites.

Thank you Day for sending me off down memory lane!

Kate

Tessa said...

My pleasure, Kate. I have to admit, it's made me itch to pull out some of those old favorites, as well.

Happy 50th!

Love, Day

Nell Dixon said...

I could read before I started school and I remember when I was in primary school fetching five books a day to read from the library during the six weeks hols. I would sit on my swing and sway back and forward reading all of them in a day before going again the next day to fetch another five. I love Jean Plaidy/Victoria Holt and Andre Norton but the series I loved best were the Chalet School books by Elinor Brent-Dyer. These are just incredible stories covering swathes of time and the most wonderful settings.

Unknown said...

I've read everything I could get my hands on for as long as I can remember lol. Still, I think at age twelve when I read Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird, that was a defining time in my journey as a reader. I think that's when I truly realized just how limitless the boundaries are when you combine a great story and imagination.

ChristyJan said...

I had my first open heart surgery was I was 11. I was out of school for weeks and it was back when there were really on 3 or 4 television channels to watch. I received books as get well gifts and as soon as I had devoured everything new, my mother and my grandmother dug all of their old books out for me to read - Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins, etc.
Reading is still my most favorite hobby and thing to do to relax.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts